New to the site- feeling lost

Carme
Occasional Contributor

New to the site- feeling lost

Hi, new to all this- will be coming up to 2yrs since diagnosis in Sept. Felling very anxious- you see my granddad was well for 2yrs before his cancer returned and took his life, and for some reason I can't get this out of my head- I am well, other than the 3 tumors in my liver which docs say are benign at present. Arhg! just need to unload...
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
Rubes1984
Contributor

Re: New to the site- feeling lost

Welcome carme to the site! I hope u are able to find the support u need at this site. I am currently undergoing my cancer treatment so am not at the stage of ur recovery. I can only imagine the anxiety, angst and fear that will come on the other side.....I hope u can find peace of mind soo My thoughts are with u and I will pray u remain cancer free for many years to come. Rubes
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I can understand your anxiety but remember that every person's cancer situation is a bit different .It's a bit like my mum's thought /fear that she would die at a certain age ,the age at which both her parents died,albeit in different years ,from different things .She is now 8 years past that age . It seems to be that we get these fears,founded or unfounded . I don't know if your granddad had the same cancer as you or if a different kind or what age he was when he died but you are young and as you said cancer free at this time .
0 Kudos
loz
New Contributor

Hi am new to all of this but just need somewhere to go to talk with others. I have family support and a few real friends, as I found out who my real ones were when I was diagnosed. They all understand to a point but I just need to talk to others people that have or have survived cancer.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I know what you mean about some people understanding some of this . It's much better to talk here as most will understand all you say . It then feels as though you are being heard . All the best .
0 Kudos
Carme
Occasional Contributor

Thank you all for your replies- my grandad had stomach cancer, I have been diagnosed with kidney cancer. I have definitely found out who my friends are- some people have disappeared out of my life, people I thought were good friends. Maybe they don't know what to say or do. it's a shame. Others live interstate and have offered me help and even a kidney! lol. I feel a lot better since I originally posted, trying hard to ignore negative feelings (head in the sand and all that). I have a beautiful husband and 2 gorgeous boys who love me. Some days I still can't help but feel lonely. @rubes1984- I hope your treatment goes well, I can only imagine what you are going through- I consider myself lucky that all I have needed so far is surgery...
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

Hi Carme, Cancer is a lonely disease. It doesn't matter whether you are starting the journey,in the middle of treatment or like me a decade or so beyond it. It isolates us . At one stage my wife told me that it was us fighting the cancer not just me and that I was taking it too personally. A few years later she decided being in the fight was too hard and we separated. I now live alone but I don't feel lonely anymore or if I do I choose to ignore it. I have made friends when I went thru a year of chemo. They are all gone. I have been on another support room in the US since 2001 . I have made countless friends and lost countless friends there as well. There are no regrets all of those people were worth knowing. What is the worst that can happen ? We can die ,but that's going to happen anyway. Some of the treatments we go thru makes death look like a walk in the park. I like to think that we all choose to survive and I think that there is probably no better way to survive than to get on with your life,just live it. Hugs Ron.
0 Kudos
loupylass
Occasional Contributor

Hi Loz, I'm new to the site too. I hope you're feeling ok today, we all know the low days and high days, I had a low one yesterday but today...so far so good. I have a wonderful partner but found that a couple of supposedly "good" friends, dropped me like a hot potato after I was diagnosed, but that is their problem, not mine. It's sad nonetheless. We do need to talk to others who can understand where we're coming from. So I'm very pleased to meet you and hopefully we'll be able to help each other through the emotional maze we find ourselves in. Have good day !! J
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.