Feeling low after treatment

Mandy2
Occasional Contributor

Feeling low after treatment

Does anyone feel like me? 3 weeks post treatment radium and chemo  for tonsil cancer, unmotivated , don’t want to get up out of bed . Bad taste in mouth, no saliva or taste buds, hearing loss due to chemo .  no motivation to kick myself out of bed . My life turned upside down in March when I was diagnosed . Anyone got any advice to get me through , am on antidepressants now . Am I expecting to much to soon ?

9 REPLIES 9
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Re: Feeling low after treatment

Hi @Mandy2,

I've just replied to your other post Heart

We have a lot of people on here with head and neck cancers, that are experiencing a myriad of things - some similar, some different. Check out: Your experience with side effects from head & neck cancer treatment.

The most important thing to remember is that you are not alone!

-Kate

Online Community Manager

Mandy2
Occasional Contributor

Thank you Kate 

your words helped .

my situation changed so quickly, normal life to this almost overnight , it’s almost a grieving thing I think . 

I just want to get even part of the former me back . 

Am not very patient , fast forward 6 months please 

Azjoetrucker
Frequent Contributor

Mandy...
    How is your diet.  Is there evidence of anaemia...low Iron dragging you into a serious fatigue mode?
Regards Joe AzTrucker
0 Kudos
Mandy2
Occasional Contributor

Hi Joe , bloods are fine , someone said the radium keeps working and that causes fatigue . I just have to get walking more . 

Regards Mandy 2

Trishjam1
New Contributor

Hi Mandy

l am 12 months post surgery for ademocarcinoma including combined chemo/radiation treatment then Oesophogectomy ( removal of 8cm tumor on my Oesophugus . Surgeons removed all of my oesophugus except for 2cms, 3/4 of my stomach and built me a new stomach with what was left .... l struggled for 6 to 8 months with no energy , feeling low and thinking l was never going to get better or recover ..l could barely make a bed or cook a meal . fast forward it’s now over 12 months and l am feeling so good ... back at the gym, building my strength , doing so many things l never thought l would be able to to again, spending lovely days with my Grandaughters ... it will get better , life will sparkle again ... just try and take one day at a time , set little goals ... don’t worry when it feels you take one step forward and then 2 steps back ... pretty soon you will be bouncing up those stairs ( or slowly walking lol !! ) l now have lots good days and still a few ordinary ones but overall  l am so glad to and lucky to be alive ... hang in there Mandy , sending you gentle hugs and lots of positive thoughts ...

JJ42
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mandy, it made me sad to read you saying, "it's almost a grieving thing I think". There is no doubt about this - you ARE grieving the loss of your pre-cancer life.  You can't turn the clock back and no matter what happens down the track, your life will never be the same again.  Even if you are cured and eventually get back your old energy levels and feelings of joy, it will still be a completely different life. Parts of your body may have been surgically removed, your fertility may be compromised, your grand retirement plans of sailing around the world might no longer be possible, etc.  Everyone needs to be able to grieve whatever losses cancer brings to their lives, otherwise there is no way to eventually build a different (and possibly even better) post cancer life. I strongly recommend finding a support group to join, where you are able to express all your fears, sorrows, anger, despair and so on with people who truly 'get it'.  That way you don't have to worry about burdening your nearest and dearest but you must find a place where you can safely offload all those scary feelings. Wishing you all the very best.

Susanne
New Contributor

Hi Mandy, I have been recovering from lung cancer for 10months now, some days are good and some are not. It seems to be a waiting game, for your skin to heal, to be able to taste food again. Its not easy but things do begin to improve. Cancer recovery is a very lonely others cannot understand even though they care. I was recovering and then got shingles and have nerve damage that comes and goes. Its normal to feel low. I think having a forum like this helps to feel less alone, i feel supported knowing there are people going through the same challenges.

0 Kudos
Colin81
Contributor

Hi Mandy2, just read your post, felt every bit of it. Yes it does get better but for cancer patients we need lots of patience (excuse the pun). Cancer 1 (NHL), really knocked me about, all that stuff , bad taste in the mouth, no taste, zero energy and motivation, lost all confidence, many other complications . It took me two and a half years to finally get back to work (minor relapse after a few more years). Cancer 2, Stage 4 CLL), same sort of side effects got back to work after six months (should have taken twelve off) lots of side effects and emotional hangups. Cancer 3, (MDS, terminal) plenty more chemo and other medications, only here now because of stem cell transplant. More chemo and radiation. Complete and utter fatigue for a very long time, got back to work after one year. Now two years and eight months later, getting better every day but still suffer fatigue, mental as well as physical.

I think we all expect too much to soon (unless you completely give in, which you can't) be patient all will be well in time, allow yourself time to heal, time to grieve, do not be too hard on yourself, it's not your fault. Tell yourself that as each day goes by you will be getting better, the harsh memories start to fade, a new day is arriving tomorrow.

0 Kudos
debbiev
Contributor

Although you wont feel like it you must try and exercise even if it is for a short time and try to built it up each day it will help you with the fatigue aspect.  I have done this myself and it was recommended to me by a cancer nurse.  Do you have friends you can ring up and talk to them maybe you could go and meet them and ask them about their lives and get yourself out this will be a thing to get you out of bed.  If you stay in bed you will lose strength in your legs which could make you feel worse.  Please dont be negative about your life it wont help you.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.