How I cope on a daily basis

Not applicable

How I cope on a daily basis

I don't know if I repeat myself or not as I cannot find any of my posts. I will apologise now just in case I have said some of this before. Anyways, I wake up in the morning and I think what can I do today. After 18 mths since I was first diagnosed with bc. I cannot eat breakfast as I wake up with nausea. All I want is a cup of coffee. So eventually I go for the coffee, love it and enjoy it, however within 15 minutes I am nauseas again. Taking the nausea tablets only make me hungry, so I try to eat something minor like I have a pce of toast with 1/4 of a banana, nice enjoy it, 15 minutes later I feel sick again. Cannot take any more meds, so I have to sit this one out. I do a meditation which helps as it takes my mind off the nausea and bloating. I saw a Psychologist who told me to accept this an my new "NORMAL" well that just isn't good enough..... I saw the Dietitian because, I cannot eat this, and I cannot eat that, and I have Fructose and Lactose intolerance which I did NOT have before the cancer. I have decided that I am going to be my own doctor and I am now doing the Trial and Error method. If I eat something and I don't feel sick, then good, I will try it again, if I get nausea's I take it off the list. 18 mths and I am cancer free. I am supposed to be happy that I am still alive. Well I am, I am living each day as it comes. I also find that certain foods I could comfortably eat 1 month ago are now playing up with me. God I wish things could be easier..... Food or nutritian is my biggest problem. Dietitian told me to take some Multivitamins. Well that was a costly exercise and a total waste of time, the capsule got stuck in my intestine and wouldn't dissolve, it took 4 hrs to dissolve. Anti depressants I have now come off these. And I feel I am coping well with my moods, and I am not scared or fearful like I used to be. But put something in my mouth and I feel like yuckkkky. funniest thing is it is constantly changing. Is there anyone else out there having these sorts of problems? DaphneRose
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: How I cope on a daily basis

Hiya DaphneRose It is not easy when you come out the other side of cancer. There is so much to deal with emotionally, mentally, physically, financially and in all ways it which it can possibly affect someone. Good for you for taking control of your situation and trying to find a way to deal with things and not accepting the "new normal" that others want to place on you! Let them be complacent about their normal and you find the one you are happy with. I find I am still experiencing changes from my treatment and I think that will be that way for quite some time. Who knows what my new normal will actually end up and anyway is "normal" static? Keep up with the experimenting and hopefully you will find something that works for you and makes life a little easier. Julie
0 Kudos
Jac999
Occasional Contributor

Hi Daphne Rose, I can relate to some of what your saying. My taste buds have totally changed since chemo days. My loves of life coffee, chocolate and potatoes are now distant memories. Going through radiotherapy has brought about the feeling of nausea again. Can't figure why but the maxelon is being brought out again. Helps somewhat. Eating makes me feel better too at the time but I get waves of nausea. Given that I finish active treatment soon - maybe things will right themselves. I just eat small and often and healthy. I hope this is temporary for you. All the best
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks Guys It does help when others relate to what you have to say, and feel. I cannot believe what happened today !!!!!! Wednesday I take myself to the hospital emergency with pain on the left side breast. After Xray doctor tells me to go home and take some PANADOL and probably need to see a PHYSIO as it looks like it is MUSCULAR SKELETAL problem. This morning I get a call to tell me the XRAY Report says they found a LUMP on my Left breast and they are reporting this to my doctor........ I am 18 mths in remission from Bowel Cancer.....CAN I NOW BE GIVEN Another Blow and now possibly have Breast Cancer???? I am seeing Breast Surgeon on Monday !!!!! I just cannot believe this. I am okay one minute and teary the next. I feel so strange. Don't know what to believe anymore Mammogram showed benign calcification and I was told nothing to worry about 3 weeks ago....... Help !!!!!!! that is all I can say. I am dumb founded DaphneRose
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi DaphneRose I read your post and can understand how upset you must be. Let's hope they got it right in the first place and that this is just a hiccup and they are being cautious because of your history. Julie
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Thanks Jules2 I have been reading as much information as I can get my hands on via internet. Some of it helps, other parts scare me more. But I think at this point in time I would rather know what to expect than go in not knowing. I will try to stay positive until Monday when I see the surgeon. The weirdest thing is I am a Bowel cancer survivor, and I am having a "Girls Night In" next week and I am also co ordinating for Pink Ribbon Day, and this was all before I even suspected anything was wrong with me. That is SCARY, Bizzare. Cheers DaphneRose
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi DaphneRose The way I handle these scary bits is to focus on not focussing on too much. Least not until I absolutely know what I need to focus on. It can be scary to read too much and yet on the one hand it can be informative, as you have said. I just find by putting my energy into no zone rather than 'what if' zone works for me. Julie
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Well people, Here is a classic example of what can GO WRONG with inexperienced YOUNG DOCTOR + BAD handling of a situation. Wednesday I see a young doctor at the emergency department of a local hospital. After X-ray I am told to go home and have some Panadol, looks like my problem is Muscular skeletal !!!! Two days later I get a call from the same Doctor I saw at the emergency dept. To inform me that he just go the written REPORT from my Xray and he is sending it all across to my local GP. Including the report on the left sided lump etc..... I was beside myself all weekend and so was my family. This morning I went to see the Breast Surgeon. I cannot believe the outcome. There is nothing wrong with my left side and I should repeat my tests in 2 years time. Naturally I am pleased with the outcome. BUT WHY OH WHY would a young doctor from the ed ring me at home to inform me that the Report is now in, and he is sending to my GP the details of my left sided lump???? Goes to show you...... You don't believe the first thing you are told, and in this case you get a SECOND Opinion. DaphneRose
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi DaphneRose ... Wow that must be a bit like finding a lost child. Totally relieve and yet?? Very glad to read it is nothing to be concerned about. Julie
0 Kudos
benlisecca
Contributor

Oh DaphneRose, as much as I hate that you have been stuffed around and it should never have happened I am soooo glad that it's all ok. Go girl!!! Best wishes Sharon xxxxx
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.