Taste and Smell suddenly completely disappeared nearly 6 wks after finishing radiation

PaulaK
New Contributor

Taste and Smell suddenly completely disappeared nearly 6 wks after finishing radiation

Hey guys. I'm just shy of 6 weeks after finishing radiation to both my head & neck.  I had 33 sessions, 7 weeks worth.  I have/had adenoid cystic carcinoma.  During treatment, my taste changed as I was warned. Taste changed hugely and definitely decreased a lot.  I have never completely lost my taste.  Last week, I would have reported having about 40% taste compared to usual and still had smell which never seemed effected.  In the last 2-3days, my smell and taste has completely gone. Not even 1% of either remains. Has this happened to anyone?  I called Oncologist, waiting for a call back. Have follow up MRI on Friday so they'll likely advise me to wait until MRI results but wondered if anyone has ever experienced the disappearance this far into recovery?

Thanks 🙂 

3 REPLIES 3
SILLY
Super Contributor

Re: Taste and Smell suddenly completely disappeared nearly 6 wks after finishing radiation

Paula ,

All the best for your MRI  . It must be difficult losing your senses of taste and smell . I hope they return to normal or close enough eventually . 

Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Taste and Smell suddenly completely disappeared nearly 6 wks after finishing radiation

Hi PaulaK,

I couldn't imagine not being able to taste or smell. One thing I had happen 6 months after my RT finished, was every time I yawned or lowered my head, I would get a burning/tingling sensation down my shins. It turns out that radiation had damaged the myelin sheath around my spinal cord. It only lasted about 6 months, but was quite painful at times.
That's got nothing to do with taste & smell, but hopefully, your side effects will only last a short while. Unfortunately, you can't be sure of what else gets damaged during the radiation, or how long the damage will last. I hope it comes back to normal for you soon.

Budgie

0 Kudos
angieh
Contributor

Hi Paula, I read your post with great interest. I have just completed 5 weeks of chemo radiation (throat and neck) and have two more weeks to go. My taste has already gone (left at week 3).

You are further along that me, and I am wondering if you can tell me have regained any taste as yet?  

thank you for any information you can share.

Angela

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.