Alone

406cancer

Alone

I have been fighting cancer for 10 years now. I have lost everything I had and cared about. I have no family. I have no help. I have no hope. I can’t afford to hire a nurse to help me and I need surgery. It has become extremely painful. I feel like I’m at the end of the road. Who can face battling CANCER alone? With no one to help? Not me. I think I have to give up. I’m too sick to have friends. I have no family. I can’t keep going.

3 REPLIES 3
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Alone

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about your cancer and your situation.

Sometimes it can feel like there is no hope. But sometimes we can find just a slight of hope.

You might be surprised.

Sometimes when it feels that we have no hope, we can find satisfaction in small things.

Have you contacted your hospital's social services?

Tell us a bit more about your self.

-s

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi @406cancer,

You have been suffering for a long time, so it's understandable you feel the way you do. I've often thought of the people who are alone going thru this & wonder how they do it. Its hard enough when you have family around to help. You must be a very strong person to have come this far.
Are you in Australia? If so, you would definitely be able to access the people you need thru your palliative care team. I don't know what it's like for people in other countries, but one can only hope it would be similar. Ask your oncologist for a referral to a palliative nurse & she can help organise things & steer you in the right direction. Also, I highly recommend you speak with a social worker, or perhaps you may want to call the Cancer Council number 131120 & speak with someone there to guide you thru this horrible time.
Please remember also, that you have friends here you can always download to, or just talk. Thats what this site is for - so we can help each other thru the tough times. And please, as @sch said, tell us about yourself. 🙂

Budgie
Dee58
Contributor

Even when you're alone in your current every day life, in a spiritual sense you are never alone and if that doesn't resonate, that's fine, but know also you are not alone because there are total strangers online here - some of us are also alone - who care... I'm about to start chemo and radiotherapy combined so I can't speak yet from experience with what I'm about to face, let alone 10 years worth but I do know the totally alone thing... I suspect I'm not wise enough to be able to say the right words right now that you need to hear... so just sending you a big hug across cyber space... sometimes a hug says it all.  x  And I realize that when you are alone, it really is just a tiny drop in a huge ocean of despair. xxx  I mean well.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.