Anal Cancer

Not applicable

Re: Anal Cancer

I'm starting treatment this week. Going off to the treatment centre with, juicer, TV, big bag of salt, zylocaine, some herbal soothing vaginal pessaries, and two jars of manuka honey. I couldn't remember who used the honey so i'm glad you sent this post. 🙂 did you eat it, smear it on the target area or both? Was that before or after treatment sessions? I think that the attitude of the staff at this hospital is that if we want to do things that make us feel good and do no harm then it is fully supported. About zylocaine, I got it in a 12 pack. "Lignocaine" with urethral applicator. It is 10 ml in a syringe,with a slim tip that's much easier to self administer than the "ultraproct" in a tube. This might be useful information for anyone with ulcers in hard to reach places. Cheers Jan
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Jan I put the honey on my skin and it helped with healing and burning. Don't forget some light reading matter for your sitting around times. 🙂 I would do my repair things after treatment. Before treatment it was just a shower and get dressed and then head off for 3 or 4 hours. THat is just the length of time it took to get there and back again, for a 10 min treatment. Then as soon as I got home I would strip off and start the saline water soaks and then smear the honey on and then head for the shower. At one stage I actually used oatmeal and honey to put on my scalp as I had a really bad rash reaction from one of my treatemnts. Julie ps ... good that you are sharing the useful stuff 🙂
0 Kudos
Not applicable

re honey.. I couldn't quite imagine what the radiation staff would say if I turned up coated with honey!! Thanks for the practical advice. I'm not sure if there is a bath there, if not I have friends who I can go to in the evenings. As well as taking books, I'm also making crochet scarves for something to do in the quiet times. cheers jan
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

lol turning up coated in honey. Would create a stir am sure. :) I had my knitting and a few others that were staying at the same place as I did used to share patterns. We would scour the internet for different patterns and take walks together and built up quite a few relationships and am still in touch with about five people. Reminds me, think i owe a couple a phone call ooops Julie
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Perhaps this is because it is late at night, so I apologise ahead of time if I offend. I thought there was enough black humour with bowel cancer - fart jokes, toilet talk etc. But I'm sorry, you girls and the honey images take the prize. Only cancer patients can laugh as well at themselves I believe. Take care Jan. I hope it goes as well as can be expected. That doesn't sound righ but you know what I mean. Samex
0 Kudos
Not applicable

big grins.. totally no offense
0 Kudos
Heidsta
Contributor

Hi Jules2,

I'm new here & am 8wks post pelvic chemoradiotherapy treatment for T4 anal cancer. Am still doing small dressings on a few stubborn spots in my 'crevices' & applying pure sorbelline cream to the newly healed skin as this is all I've been 'prescribed' by the radiotherapy nurses. I am intrigued to know whether you used the Manuka honey throughout your entire treatment & recovery, & if you used anything else like MooGoo? Thanks. 🙂

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.