Anxiety and Scans

Stef89
Occasional Visitor

Anxiety and Scans

How does everybody manage anxiety around scan time?  I become anxious around 2 weeks prior to the scan. I tend to be quite emotional, snappy and lack focus.  Does this ever stop?

2 REPLIES 2
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anxiety and Scans

Hi @Stef89 ,

A scan can be very unnerving because of the problems that it might uncover. The resulting news could be reassuring or devastating. 
However, knowledge is power. If there is something nasty going on, it is still going on whether or not you have the scan.

Isn’t it better to know what (if anything) is happening and getting on to deal with it than to keep worrying about what might be festering away inside and even the chance of it getting worse?

So a scan should be seen as an opportunity to reassure yourself that all that can be done IS being done to help keep you as healthy as possible. 
Hazzar to scans!

Hugs to you all,

Rick

David76
Occasional Contributor

Re: Anxiety and Scans

My mum suffers the same problem every time she has to go in for a biopsy. It's normal. She gets very irritable leading up to tests.

I try and encourage her to keep facing her fears, go to all the appointments, no matter how hard they may be. Because you can only fix a problem if you know it's there. There's nothing you can do about it if you're not aware of the problem. And I agree with the comment above. It's the uncertainty which causes the worry. 

Bravery is not the absence of fear, but the ability to continue moving forward despite your fears.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.