Forgotten Cancers

Kathyhtak
Contributor

Forgotten Cancers

Did anyone catch the "forgotten cancers" segment on The Project Tuesday night (20/8/13)? Should be available to view on their website soon. (Also see Cancer Council media release). Interesting topic. These forgotten cancers generally have poor outcomes; they are are underfunded and we need to raise awareness for funding further research, for better outcomes. I have one of the forgotten cancers, oesophageal. I would suggest having our own category to select when setting up our profiles in Cancer Connections, rather than lumping us under "Other" might be a good place to start awareness raising! Who else has one of the "forgotten cancers"?
0 Kudos
13 REPLIES 13
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Forgotten Cancers

Hi Kathytak I have had a little known cancer, although because it comes under the umbrella of another well known cancer it is not quite the same as you. I hear what you are saying with regards to having a separate section in cancer connections as it would certainly be an acknowledgement that the particular cancer exists. I didn't see the program but it certainly sounds interesting. Julie
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Missed the program but I registered with Forgotten Cancers when it was started and gave DNA and answered a Questionnaire along with other members of this site.I have Pancreatic Cancer. kj
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Kathyhtak, kj and Jules2, Just a short note to let you all know that we recognise that the current dropdown options available at registration and related Group options do not properly represent the specific situation of all members. We will be launching a redeveloped Cancer Connections website later in the year that will include expanded registration options and related new Groups better suited to cater for the broad range of circumstances and situations experienced by the Cancer Connections community. Kind regards, Felix Cancer Connections Coordinator
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Felix Thanks for the information and I look forward to seeing the new revamped version when it's available. 🙂 It is a great site run by great people who are always willing to listen and also put their pov across too. This site has gone from strength to strength since I first joined and it is great to have an Australian site with information that is relevant. Thank you for all that you do. Julie
0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Hi Julie and kj, Good to hear from others with forgotten cancers; I wish you all the best with your cancer journey. kathyhtak
0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Hi Felix, Thank you very much for your response. I echo Julie's words and look forward to seeing and utilising the revamped Cancer Connections site when launched. Kathyhtak
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

Kathyhtak Thanks I also wish you the best in your journey kj
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Kathytak Thanks and your sentiments returned to you. :) Julie
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Everyone, My apologies if you have already seen and read this recent newspaper article on 'Forgotten Cancers', but it is an excellent overview of some of the very same issues you have identified and commented upon in this discussion thread: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/forgotten-cancers-are-killing-australians-amid-funding-shortfalls/story-fnii5s3y-1226690798500 Kind regards, Felix Cancer Connections Coordinator
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.