Gumbi Gumbi

deniseford
Occasional Contributor

Gumbi Gumbi

Hi...has anyone heard of the Australian plant called Gumbi Gumbi...we have been told it is used as traditional medicine for Indigneous Australians. A friend has suggested it as a natural therapy for cancer....has anyone used this or know where to buy it. Thanks
28 REPLIES 28
Eliza
Occasional Contributor

Re: Gumbi Gumbi

Hello Deniseberry, I have been using this plant extract for nearly a month now. Was so lucky to have a friend who spent a lot of time in the outback of W.A. and knew some of the older Aboriginal people who used this plant as a medicine. We spent 12 hours looking for it, were just about to give up the search ( we'd been told where to go to find it ) when we stumbled across it. I now have a good supply to last for some months, thank goodness. Since taking the medicine I have been feeling so much healthier, and will be interested to see what difference it has made to my CA125 count when the next bloods are taken this next week. Am hoping that my Oncologist will be suprised at a difference in the results ! ! If you Google -- Scaevola Spinescens - a traditional 'bush medicine' that will take you to a heap of info about the plant and where it can be bought. We've been told of the effect it has had on people our friends know and as I'm not prepared to put all my faith in just chemo ( on my second lot now ) I have Ovarian cancer and was given 6 months maximum to live if I did not have more chemo. I also have changed my diet, take a lot of supplements a naturapath recommended, and take Alkala N to alkalize my gut.As I'm not interested in dying I'm hitting this cancer with everything I can. Hope this helps, Cheers, Eliza.
maxineokeefe
Occasional Contributor

Wow - I will do some research on this - Eliza thanks for sharing that I will let my husband know straight away! He has been taking Solanum Incanum - have you heard of that before? It is from Taiwan - his doctor and I are both really amazed at his general mood and vitality! It has only been one month but shows good signs - more energy and isn't sick constantly anymore. I can send you the site we used if you like. Max
0 Kudos
Eliza
Occasional Contributor

Hi max, It's so good to find anything that can help us to feel better while having treatment isn't it. I have not heard of the Solanum Incanum your husband is taking; it's great it is having a positive effect. I had my 3rd lot of chemo 2 weeks ago. Before the 1st lot my CA125 was 480, a month later the test was 180, and the last test was down to 59. This is after only 2 lots of chemo - and of taking the Scaevola spinescens. It seems that something is working well. I haven't had a chance to discuss the figures with my oncologist yet so don't know if this is the norm or not. I'm due for a scan soon and that will be the most interesting result to get. May we all improve our health and have it stay that way! Cheers, Eliza
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi All The cancer council has a site that provides some comments on gumbi,gumbi - I just googled it and had a read. Might be worthwhile reading if anyone is considering using this as an option. :) Julie
Not applicable

Hi All,

An excellent evidence-based resource for information on Maroon Bush and a wide range of other non-mainstream medications and treatments can be found here: http://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/herb/maroon-bush.

Kind regards,

Felix

Cancer Connections Team

0 Kudos
Ayolani
New Contributor

Hi Denise. Have you managed to find the Gumbi Gumbi?
0 Kudos
Margaret_CCNSW
Contributor

Hi all,

Thanks for your posts.

At Cancer Council we support evidence-based treatments for cancer and have reviewed material on the efficacy of Gumbi Gumbi.

Cancer Council has a website which looks at claims related to cancer treatment and assesses them scientifically. This is the page on Gumbi Gumbi which looks at what it is and whether it works to treat cancer:  Gumbi Gumbi.

In summary, there is no credible independent scientific evidence that gumbi gumbi extract has any effect on cancer.

This is another great resource from the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in the US: https://www.mskcc.org/cancer-care/diagnosis-treatment/symptom-management/integrative-medicine/herbs

We always recommend that if anyone is looking at alternative treatments for cancer either in addition to or in place of evidence-based medical treatment, please discuss these with your medical treating team.

Kind regards,

Margaret,

Online Community admin team

CaptainAustrali
Super Contributor

Indigenous male aggregate life expectancy:  69 years

White male average life expectancy:  80+

(I know that's all messed up by rural health & socio-economic issues, just want to illustrate that it may not be the place to look if you're after a secret to longevity and resistance to illness)

I wouldn't go digging around in the bush for secret berries to cure your disease.  Or rather .. do whatever you want to do ........ but also LISTEN to your DOCTORS and if you want to survive, FOLLOW their advice.

If any race / culture has a secret potion, I'd go to Okinawa and eat their fish/vege diet .. 

royfaz
New Contributor

...nice broad stroke there about the connection to Indigenous Life Expectancy and bush medicines. 

For your info, these treatments arent "secret berries" nor are they the answer to longevity...

Have a think about why the life expectancy is so low in Indigenous communities (heres a hint, its not because of "secret berries") before you comment on something you dont know about. 

While youre at it, how about some words of encouragement and hope to people who are seeking that rather than a fast track  reference to painful conventional treatments that companies profit and prosper over. 

Let me know if you want to know more about bush medicines and the benefits they provide to Indigenous Australians. 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.