Hair Loss

michellep
Not applicable

Hair Loss

My cousin (who is a woman)is beginning chemo and wants to get a wig can anyone suggest someone in Sydney who is good and makes comfortable wigs at a realistic price.  Have been on the net looking for her and am totally confused. She has 3 young daughters and is going to shave her hair as soon as can find wig.  Any who has any ideas greatly appreciated. 
0 Kudos
49 REPLIES 49
mikey
Contributor

Hair Loss

Hi Michelle,You should have a look at the Cancer Services directory on the Cancer Councill site. There's lots of Cancer Related services in there including Wig Shops.Here's a link to Wig Shops in Sydney http://www.cancercouncil.com.au/html/patientsfamiliesfriends/cancer_services_directory/search_oncall_results.asp?regions=Metropolitan+Sydney&services=Wig+Services&Submit=Start+Search
0 Kudos
MissRen
Contributor

Hair Loss

Hi. I was told about The Tracey Scone Wig Library (Darlinghurst) www.arrow.org.au by a breast care nurse. I went there today and picked out a wig which I can borrow for as long as  I like.  The ladies there were great. I went wig window shopping last week and found that prices varied from $130 - $1400 (medical prices!)
0 Kudos
slipslop
Occasional Contributor

Hair Loss

after many months of chemo i didnt have a single hair anywhere on my head or body. the worst was my loss of eyelashes and eyebrows. i was pretty grey before the chemo. when it did grow back it was darker and with NO GREY HAIR. i am about to undergo radiotherapy...i wonder what color it will grow back, probably red hee hee
0 Kudos
gabrielle2106
Occasional Contributor

Re: Hair Loss

I also lost every hair on my body and head. I had my final radiation treatment in April 08, my hair didnt really come through until November 08 and then it was a little 'military' style 1/2inch. Now in March 09 I have about 1 1/2inches of hair, its been very slow. the texture is bizarre, i have very fine hair, now its like it was singed all over, horrible... I didnt get a wig, i wore all sorts of hats and gave the cost of a wig to the Breast Cancer network...I want a cure more than hair.
0 Kudos
gabrielle2106
Occasional Contributor

I must admit i did that course and found it a huge waste of time, the ladies running it were rude and cold. I have an allergy to the red dye in the stuff they wash their hands in and they decided it was just easier to ignore me. They were all quite old and had some very old fashioned ideas of makeup. I realise that all programs are run by different people, so im hoping that not everyone had the same experience i had. We did get some bonus cosmetics for free, definetly not colours i'd wear (maybe my grandmother would) but free all the same..
0 Kudos
jules_jp
Contributor

Hi there everyone, I hope you are doing ok. I strongly recommend the "Look Good Feel Better program" - http://www.lgfb.org.au/ excellent for women who have just been diagnosed. It helps prepare you for side effects of treatment and how to cope with hair loss, options for scarves, hats, wigs - many styles and cosmetics that complement your type of skin - eg. olive, fair, oily/dry/sensitive and how to apply esp (when no eyebrows or lashes). I found excellent advice there plus bonus cosmetics (for free) at a time when I felt incredibly low. The time I went it was just after first chemo and met many other women with BC so it was good to feel normal again. The brochure I have is for the Wig Affair http://www.wigaffair.com.au they also have a mobile wig service (they come to you) and can put you in touch with someone in your/your friend's/relative's area eg north, south, east or west. PS. I forgot to mention, if you are in a health fund you may be able to obtain a wig (at little or no cost). You will need a letter in support from your oncologist stating you need to wear a wig for medical reasons. I was treated during summer and could not tolerate much on my head. I prefer to collect a lot of info to have options before making a decision.
0 Kudos
jules_jp
Contributor

Gabrielle, Sorry you had a bad experience and that's what these forums are for. To share experiences and information. When I attended nobody touched me with their hands. Cleansers, wipes and mirrors were provided. There were a mix of ladies from older women to younger which showed the group how to apply and we all applied ourselves. There was one person volunteered for make-up, another one or two for wigs and a couple more for the scarves. Some women had mentioned that perhaps they didn't complete the forms correctly with eye colour, hair colour, skin colour and texture - because often people are in a state of shock or having chemo at the time. One lady had a recurrence and gone to the program for a second time. She had asked for a different eyeliner and the ladies (who are volunteers) were accommodating.
0 Kudos
gabrielle2106
Occasional Contributor

Ohh, im not knocking it, i know they are volunteers and its all for free. Some ladies said they loved it. I had filled out the forms carefully but the colours i was given were for someone 3 times my age. We had a local hairdresser showing us wigs and scarves..he is wonderful and did a great job. I just felt that i would feel a whole lot better donating the money and wearing a hat and scarf. It is and always should be an individual thing. I do wish i'd have been given more information about my hair loss, the fact that not all women actually get their hair back, it is usually very different when it does grow back, that it can be thin in places or even all over..etc etc... some may not want to know the possibilities but i felt that knowing what could happen made me feel more empowered to make decisions and prepare myself for the future...i was so disappointed at how slowly it grew back, if i'd known it was slow i wouldnt have worried so much
0 Kudos
MissRen
Contributor

Hi everyone. I'm glad I borrowed a wig from the Tracey Scone wig Library and not bought one. I think I wore the wig 4 times for short periods. I found it to be too uncomfortable so instead a bought a number of silk scarves off ebay so that I could wear something on my head when I left the house. The money I saved by not buying a wig allowed me to spend it on things that were of more benefit to me. I went to 2 look good feel better workshops, one that was run at the hospital and the other that was part of a womens day workshop. I also found the advice on makeup application outdated. Perhaps the organisers could add a field on the form relating to age and lifestyle of a woman. I'm sure a 20 year old who reads cosmopolitan may not feel comfortable wearing coral lipstick and blush. When I first found out about the workshop I decided I wanted to attend so that I could meet women who I could relate to on some level and if I was lucky I would find a nice shade of lipstick. I met some wonderful, strong, happy women at the workhshops and 2 shades of lipstick and an eyeliner that I like and wear. The bits and pieces that weren't for me I gave away to family and St Vincents de Paul. I felt that I had met my objective and I also saw 1920 style hats that I liked. I was disappointed when I went to buy the hats the next day. I showed the lady the picture of the hat that I was after and then I was ushered into a room, left to my own devices. I was not offered any advice or service. The enthusiasm and passion that I saw the day before at the workshop was not evident in the store. I did buy the hats as I loved them and I also left disappointed for the lack of service. Lastly, when my hair started to grow back it looked like I had a head full of duck down. It was strange to see hair that looked like it should be on a duck so I decided to shave it off. The hair that grew back looks like hair, is thicker and looks healthy.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.