Head wraps/scarfs?

april89
New Contributor

Head wraps/scarfs?

Hi all, my mum started chemo a couple of weeks ago, she's only had 1 session and her hair has started coming out today. Can anyone recommend some good websites to buy head wraps/scarves? Or any stores in the Wollongong area i can find these? Thanks
0 Kudos
14 REPLIES 14
The_Rowan
Contributor

Re: Head wraps/scarfs?

The Cancer Council sell wraps and scarves on their website.
0 Kudos
april89
New Contributor

Thanks. I've had a look at the cancer council ones and they are quite pricey :S
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi April, I imagine most department stores would sell something which would be suitable. The "Look Good, Feel Better" program (I think it's run by the Cancer Council, or they can at least put you in touch with them) has tutorials on creative ways to tie headscarves- with a bit of guidance and creativity you'd be able to make just about any piece of fabric work. Good luck!
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Try going to spotlight and buying material and making them ... you can get a pattern from the cc on how to.
0 Kudos
Lynnie
New Contributor

I went through so many sites..found one in America that had such a wide selection ..and trendy too. I ordered 4 BUT paid $22.95 premium delivery and got them in 2 days...www.headcovers.com/ my favourite was a two toned braid dark brown/cream. But I have made 4 myself as I've heard chemo can make your skin very sensitive to touch. I made them from the stretch jersey from Spotlight..you need an overlocker for that material. Also bought stretch fabric and made a plait to go around the head to take away the plain look of the tubular turbans (made of jersey). I'm still trying to find a hat..so many out there.. but cloche is my favourite..wishing all the best to your Mum!
0 Kudos
bev
Frequent Contributor

In some of the information booklets - Understanding Radiation & also Understanding Chemotherapy there is a pattern. Is there a Cancer Council Information Centre near you? I volunteer at our local CCIC and I have shown lots of ladies the pattern. Good luck with your treatment, you will learn to trust your treatment team.
0 Kudos
april89
New Contributor

Thankyou, i found the pattern from cc, i also found a bunch of good patterns in spotlight for turbans but they were sold out 😞 i just bought a couple of nice beanies and a scarf for her until i can make a couple, i might find out where the local cancer council is near and check it out. Thanks for your help
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

I personally only wore hats or beanies but I met a woman at treatment one day and she looked incredibly smart. She had made herself a turban that coordinated with her top. She looked really lovely and I think it helped her in that she had something that she could manage to make & create while undergoing treatment. Don't forget the Look Good Feel Good clinics either. They had a demonstration at the one I went to of wigs and hats etc... and some tips. Julie
0 Kudos
JennieWren
New Contributor

This post hasn't been active for a while, but I wanted to ask what people find best for activities such as yoga, where there is a fair bit of movement. Any suggestions? thanks
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.