How friends react

GHT
Contributor

How friends react

Hi I am feeling very isolated as oldest friend not responding how I imagined. She doesn't understand the shock aspect of my diagnosis. Also I can't tell my family except 1 brother as he says parents and sister will not cope. He is possibly right. I feel like I am on another planet from my friend and scared 45 yr f/ship will not survive. How do others deal with feeling so outside daily life that others take for granted?
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
bev
Frequent Contributor

Re: How friends react

Hello again, Not sure, but will try to join in Monday night. I am also a volunteer for cancer council NSW with their cancer connect programme. That is where a patient is matched up with a volunteer that has experienced the cancer, the treatment, side effects or anything else that you both have in common. It is over the phone and completely confidential. If interested call 131120 and ask to be connected to cancer connect. It is good to know that you can talk to someone that understands.
0 Kudos
Paulpwtierney
Occasional Contributor

Same thing happened to me. I was given a fuller diagnosis on Friday 13th of all days. Although I could tell everyone it was clear that I had crossed a line and was different. Only people who can understand are people who have gone through the same experience. Everything is different now. No going back. Everyday life is surreal.
0 Kudos
GHT
Contributor

Dear Paul You are right that when a Dr uses the C..... Word things start getting surreal. It is like being on the other side of a line or curtain. Before I was diag in Jan this yr I really had no idea what it really would feel like. I guess now I have to give others a chance to understand even a little but they won't really get it as we do. Being diag on Fri 13 is a bit ironic / freaky. I had an incident on NYE that told me things may be bad so that was freaky / ironic too Know that there really is a big online community here who is with you. I have been very amazed how ppl are so supportive on this site. I decided to join because of no family support and best friend wigging out. I hope you find the support u need among friends, family and here with us fellow journeyers ( is that a word? ) Best wishes GHT
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.