MONEY ? financial assistance

Highlighted
New Contributor

MONEY ? financial assistance

Hi I was just wondering about finacial assistance as I am about to start recieving my employment income protection I am not entitled to health care card and am doing interferon (melanoma )treatment the medication is $1583 every 3 weeks plus pain medication etc .... after I pay rent food etc my income protectin will not cover these costs ? I had one of assitance from cancer council to pay phone power bill but that was 1 off payment ........ How do people afford to have treatmnets pay for medication and live ? I am looking into super as well but that seems to be another nightmare area to deal with . it seams to me that having cancer is not enough to deal with all these agaency gov etc make you jump thru that many hoops I have had to wait 3 mths for my income protection and am praying that they start to pay by end of month as I now have used up all sick leave annual leave payments and any savings I had plus my family have kept me afloat this far but I hate being an emotional and finacial burden to them ..... any advise would be great I am in WA
0 Kudos
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Re: MONEY ? financial assistance

HI there, yes its very hard I had 6 mths off work and the last thing you want to think about is the bills. I was surprised that my bank was very helpful when I explained my situation they helped! I have not had to pay anything on my visa card for the time I have been off work. I guess just ask for help and take it where you can. Concentrate on getting well and healthy. Hope that helps. Cheers.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.