Newly Diagnosed w/ Stage II Squamous Cell Anal CA 7/21

Yorkiemomof3
New Contributor

Newly Diagnosed w/ Stage II Squamous Cell Anal CA 7/21

I'm told that I'm to have a port placed in which to receive 5 weeks of chemo. The regime will be daily 5FU & 2 doses of Mitomycin, one @ the beginning & one @ the end. I will also be having targeted radiation for 5-6 weeks M-F during this same time. 

I have a lot of questions and concerns of course and am new to this forum so I hope you will be patient with me. One of the questions on my mind right now is should I be looking into getting a wig? I've had 2 hair transplant procedures... because so I've done so much to preserve my hair it's as if the universe is teaching me how insignificant hair truly is. The oncologist, surgeon, & radiologist have all said that the regime of chemo I'm having typically doesn't cause much if any hair loss. I don't know if they are programmed to say this just to keep patient's spirits up or this is the truth. 

Has anyone here had this regime of chemo/radiation? Would you please share your experiences with me so I can decide how to proceed? I don't want to wait until the last minute and need a wig, OR truly perhaps don't need to worry about it and just expect some mild hair loss? Any insight or advice would be appreciated from people who have been through this. I have a wonderful beautician who has helped other clients w/ this before and will see me through, whichever route I need to take. 

Kindly, 

Melissa

2 REPLIES 2
JohnDenning59
Contributor

Re: Newly Diagnosed w/ Stage II Squamous Cell Anal CA 7/21

Hello Melissa, my name is Colin. I'm 59 and am also battling cancer. Pancreatic, in my case and quite advanced. I understand the emotions associated with the side-effects of chemo, but on the subject of wigs, I know a lot more.

As a former client myself, I had a lot of involvement in the hair replacement industry and have seen many recipients of hairpieces, a lot of whom were women. Some were battling cancer and others alopecia. Some just had naturally thinning hair. But wow did they look great!

Wigs nowadays are state of the art, including real human hair and synthetic hair. They really do look good. And on a personal note, as a guy there was always one hell of a stigma that went with trying cover up baldness, but with women that doesn't apply.

Put it this way, if anyone, a work colleague, for example, said anything detrimental, just tell them that you are losing your natural hair because of chemo treatment. Trust me, they will never say another word, in fact it's doubtful that anyone would in the first place. In fact, as strange as it might sound, they would probably even be a bit jealous of your fantastic new look.

One thing I've learned at this stage of my life is not to give a damn what anyone thinks or says about me, but I've also learned that no one really says anything. They have their own lives and problems to deal with.

So, just do it. Find a reputable (not online) local hair replacement service and go in and talk to them. I wish you all the best of luck, with that, and with your cancer, of course.

Colin

Wegotthis
Frequent Contributor

Re: Newly Diagnosed w/ Stage II Squamous Cell Anal CA 7/21

Really sorry to hear about you having cancer. 

I keep my hair so short no would notice if I shaved it all off.

We are waiting on a biopsy report to see if I do have cancer. My wife said she would shave her head if I do have to have treatments that caused me to lose mine. 

I understand your concern about losing your hair. If you getting a wig makes you feel better then you should. I'm learning that cancer effects more than our bodies. 

Take care of yourself emotionally and physically. I believe they are equally important 

Please keep us updated on what and how you are doing 

As you can see more people read the post them replies.  You are helping me and many more 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.