Online Chat.

Malcolml
Occasional Contributor

Online Chat.

I wish this site had the capability of actually chatting with the other people who are on line at the same time.
19 REPLIES 19
Mignon
Contributor

Re: Online Chat.

I agree, but it is a good site. You can send private messages, and people can choose to give you their private email or phone number, I guess. Good Luck.Mignon
0 Kudos
Rarelyseen
Occasional Contributor

Hi I have been diagnosed with a rear cancer or cancers, I am told I am not going to survive, apparently no one has ever survived this cancer,I need some support, I feel terrible and alone, if anyone would like to chat I am on Facebook and we could sort out something so we could video chat there via the chat, does the cancer Council have a facebook page? Maggie
lizzie1040
New Contributor

I agree some times when I get down a chat with someone directly would be wonderful. I am sending a lot of hugs your way ((((-)))).
0 Kudos
Seadee
Occasional Contributor

Hi Maggie, I am in the same position as you and there is not really support on this website for people with a terminal diagnosis.I think it's shocking and myself and others have tried to get something done, but just get fobbed off.If you want to private message me, we can arrange to chat as we really need to support each other. Take care, Dee x
0 Kudos
Seadee
Occasional Contributor

Sorry, that goes for anyone in the same situation. Best wishes, Dee
0 Kudos
Kate_Unicorn
Contributor

Hi All, We just wanted to hop in at this point to acknowledge this conversation. Thanks to everyone for sharing your ideas. We very much welcome constructive feedback about how we may be able to improve things at Cancer Connections, and are glad you’ve felt comfortable to talk about that here. The idea of having an online chat facility available 24 hours per day is one that has come up from time to time, and this is a good opportunity for the team to revisit this. Alongside the benefits, some potential issues to consider include how we manage “spam” and other unhelpful interactions and visitors, as well as how to appropriately care for those vulnerable people who have specific support needs. On this basis it’s something we can’t provide an immediate answer to. However we acknowledge your interest and will come back to the community with our thoughts within the next few weeks. If you would like to contribute to this process please contact us at admin@cancerconnections.com.au. It’s also worth mentioning that live chat is a tool that is used in our online groups (see the “Groups” tab above for a list of the current groups available). Some groups use this regularly (e.g. our Advanced Cancer group), others are in the process of starting this up (e.g. our Gynaecological Cancer group). Our online groups are dynamic –we are always in the process of looking at areas of need - and where possible developing new groups in response. New groups to watch out for in coming months include: Malignant brain tumours Younger adult ‘survivors’ Younger adult bereavement In relation to the provision of support via Facebook and other similar sites, these can be a valuable tool in connecting with others. It’s also worthwhile considering however that these sites are first and foremost commercial enterprises. Any content and information you provide can be and is used for market research and targeted advertising. Considering the potential impact on your privacy is crucial when considering using these types of media service. It remains a matter of personal choice as to whether they should be used or not but being aware of the risks should always play a part in your decision. Thanks again for this conversation - let’s keep talking and sharing ideas! Warm Regards, Kate and Felix Cancer Connections Admin Team
0 Kudos
Seadee
Occasional Contributor

I have found messenger a useful and private way to communicate one on one with other people I have found on this and other sites. If you are like me and don't find there is specifically a group here for you (the advanced group Kate was referring to is actually called the Ongoing group), then have a look around at other sites.Hope everyone finds the support they need as you deserve it. Happy Easter Everyone!! Dee x
0 Kudos
Stitch
Contributor

Hi all I also use windows messenger. It is simular to skype. It is a great way to chat.
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I belong to a closed group( for people with my cancer) on Facebook . It's good . I also belong to an open group for Survivors of Head and Neck Cancers on Facebook but am more careful what I say there. If you google your own name somethings about you come up through Facebook and any sites where what was said is open to public viewing. I am hoping a group for people with my cancer is formed. We want a group for Australians with the same cancer as it is very rare. Closed groups are my first choice. There seems to be a special bond when you fing others like this. I feel closer to many Fb friends than I do to my friends offline ,in the "real world". I use chat on Facebook only when someone pops up to chat. It's ok but I prefer private messages there. I like messages here too. It's good that new groups are going to be here .
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.