Support

Rob56
Occasional Contributor

Support

Hi, 2 weeks ago, I was playing golf with some friends. Since then, 2 brain lesions, surgery, etc. What a learning curve!

Grade 4 GBM and will start chemo/radio in 2 weeks. Happy to talk it through if you share my experience, and it may help me process what has happened. It's a lot to take in.

6 REPLIES 6
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Support

Hi @Rob56 

Must have been one a hell of a game of golf!

How are you going now?

How was your surgery?

0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Hi Rob, so sorry about your diagnosis. It’s awful how you can be feeling so well and suddenly you get told you have cancer. The anxiety can be so bad. Hope you have lots of support around you. Do whatever you need to get through this. I’ll pray for you 🙏💕 LindaG 

0 Kudos
Rob56
Occasional Contributor

Thanks. I do have plenty of support and am grateful for your prayers, also.

Rob

0 Kudos
Rob56
Occasional Contributor

🤣 I wish! 

Surgery was fine and I was told very successful. When the numbers came back from biopsies, 'very successful' became something else. It's a pity it happened like that. 

Anyway, I feel fit and able, basically. How are you tracking?

sch
Super Contributor

Hi @Rob56 ,

Well it sounds like you're relatively in good spirits.

Sometimes we get set backs.

What did biopsies come back with? What is your "new diagnosis"?

I had bowel cancer a number of years ago now. surgery and chemo, but I guess for myself, there is a pretty high risk of it coming back.

That's just the way it is I guess. I've done what I can to lower the risk, but it always just sits there in the back of your mind.

Anyway, hope to hear back from you soon.

-s

0 Kudos
Rob56
Occasional Contributor

Hi,

Thanks for yr masg. We felt that we could have been prepared more carefully for the bad news, which completely blindsided us. Until the diagnosis, I feel that we were encouraged to be optimistic regarding what they had found, the surgery, and management. Those ideas were smashed when he gave us the news. It wd have been better, I think, if he or someone had sai, 'Well, we have found this, have had a good surgery, but you're not out of the woods yet...this could be a thing like gbm and it is a a very nasty piece of work...

I may not be explaining this very well. 

That was the very worst moment, when the sense of hope was just stripped away.

But right now, I'm good, I guess. I'm in good shape for my age and have good support. Ask me how I am in 4 wks time! It might be a different story, but maybe not. 

You? How are you travelling?

R

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.