new to support

trish57
New Contributor

new to support

new to support. diagnosed 5th july '19. worried the family, (as in brothers and sisters) not being there for me ?  I live alone, and have had no children. No one has contacted me. I have to be the one to contact them? This is very tough doing it on my own. Sometimes I just cry myself to sleep. When I found this support group, I thought, and hoped, that this might help? I am NOT very strong today? A bit teary. And all alone.  Will see how this goes

7 REPLIES 7
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: new to support

Hi trish57,

Welcome aboard.  Do you mind if I ask what you've been diagnosed with?  Cancer is an awful illness, & would be absolutely horrible to go thru it alone.  I am very sorry you have no one physically with you to share this burden,  but you will have plenty of people on this site who can offer advice & a cheery word.  😊

Budgie 

sch
Super Contributor

Hi Trish,

I'm sorry to hear what this has happened to you.

Where abouts are you based and what cancer do you have?

It would be nice to hear some more about you, if you'd like to share. 

Hopefully there are some support groups based close by, because some time just talking about it can help.

There is also the cancer council support services. https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/26782/coping-with-cancer/cancer-connect-peer-support/cancer-council...

-s

trish57
New Contributor

Hi there. I was diagnosed 5 th July, with Non Hodgkin lymphoma. Yesterday, was set up day. The scan, chatted with staff, hooked up with a counsellor. It seems to be moving so fast? I am feeling rushed thru this? A panicy feeling, a huge knot in my stomach, family not even asking me how I am going? Even though posting updates online? I just don't get it? Very sad, that I felt I needed to get a counsellor? Just all alone, in a such big world, how does it happen? 😥😥😥😥😥

0 Kudos
trish57
New Contributor

Hi. I am diagnosed with non hodgkins lymphoma. Had the CT scan yesterday, a chat with staff. Had to line up a counsellor? Because, no reaction from family, even though posting online. Nothing???

They don't even ask how I am??? 

Or call me at all ???   If the position was switch. I would drop what I was doing and call??? They know I live alone, no partner, or, anyone for that matter, that I can sit down, and chat to, to just discuss my options. But nothing, not a word. It has made me very distressed that, they just DON'T CARE AT ALL?????  😥😥😥😥😥

0 Kudos
trish57
New Contributor

I am based in Sydney...Peakhurst 🌸🌸🌸

0 Kudos
Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi trish57,

Don't be sad.  It doesn't help anything being sad.  Your family may not know what to say to you without upsetting you.   I used to update my siblings with progress reports every now & then, but I stopped doing it because I was getting no response from them.  It's not because they don't care - I know they care.  They just don't want to think about me dying.  They don't know how to talk about it.

It's a good thing that you met with a counsellor, & certainly nothing to be ashamed of.  Everyone needs someone to talk to.

I don't know anything about Non Hodgkins Lymphoma.  Would you mind telling me what it is?

Budgie

RJG
Frequent Contributor

Hi Trish57,

Welcome to our (that now includes you) community! I realise that it is not nearly the same, but regard us as an extension to your family.

I am so fortunate that I have a loving partner who has trudged the journey through cancer with me - through thick and thin, and we have been lucky to get through relatively unscathed (apart from the cattle prod marks from when I needed to be brought back in line).  I can only imagine that it would take enormous strength to do it alone.

So don't!

Call in here whenever you need to unload - either positively or negatively, emotionally or medically.

So how are you getting on today?

For me, 2 years since my total gastrectomy on 21/08/19 and about 16 months since last chemo, I get to the end of the working week and am completely knackered. Last night I fell asleep at 7:29 pm - I had just laid down ready to watch the NRL game and didn't even make it through the ads between programs. But otherwise, things are pretty much inder control these days.

Again, reach out to us whenever you need it.

Big hugs,

Rick

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.