Fertility after chemo

blackcat
Not applicable

Fertility after chemo

Recently I had mastectomy done. Before step into chemo I would consider to freeze embroys to reserve the option to have another child later on (I have one 2yo already). I am at my early thirties. Has anyone been through same, success or unsuccess story to share.
0 Kudos
4 REPLIES 4
diannep52
Frequent Contributor

Re: Fertility after chemo

Sorry Blackcat, cant help you out on that one! My 'baby days' were well over when I was diagnosed. Good luck!!
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi blackcat I haven't had to harvest eggs either ... due to being too old to worry about that sort of thing. I wish you luck in your decision and hope you find out some good information. I experienced temporary infertility and was told I would go through menopause but I havent even started yet. I was kind of hoping to get it all out of the way in one foul swoop. Good luck Julie
0 Kudos
Krista
Occasional Contributor

Hi there. I'm sorry that you have to make this decision. Have your Doctors swayed you either way? I know there is a very real chance that you could lose your fertility, and if you definately want a sibling for you child, or are even unsure, I would probably suggest that you do harvest eggs. Obviously, you could try naturally down the track and if nothing happens in say, 12 months, then you will have those eggs to fall back on. My husband and I were very lucky. He was told he would never be able to have children from quite a number of procedures (including a massive dose of chemo as a child) and we conceived our precious little son after about 3 years and our 2nd child after about 3 months. So, there is always hope but are you prepared to take the possible risks? Only you can answer that. Good luck. Krista.
0 Kudos
Krista
Occasional Contributor

Apologies, didn't realise how old your post was. I hope you are doing well.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.