Anti-depressants

samex
Regular Contributor

Anti-depressants

As some of you know I have been struggling with depression and anxiety for a while and finally started some counselling about 6 weeks ago. Last session, the psych wanted me to see my GP and discuss the use of anti-depressants. Short term. Mainly to try to fix my sleep patterns. I generally sleep very badly and I understand that this can be a sever deterrent to becoming well - in the greatest sense of the word - not just cancer free. One part of my brain says that I need to try this medication and that if supervised well there shouldn't be any problems. Another part is terrified or maybe it is just the recognition that I genuinely have a mental illness that is causing me to question.Perhaps the social stigma is impacting on my rational decision making. I know that this is not the place for medical advice but as we all know here, it sometimes helps to put our thoughts down and have some feedback. Thanks, Samex
0 Kudos
28 REPLIES 28
harker
Frequent Contributor

Re: Anti-depressants

Hi samex I went to my GP with the same discussion in mind. He explained there is a difference in brain activity that is clearly distinguishable between a depressed and a not depressed human. The evidence he used was a scan print out of the active brain areas. One was mostly one colour (healthy), the other was less of that colour and more of another colour (depressed). The diagram, as I understand it, was simply showing the differences in brain activity. I found it quite convincing from a chemical point of view. I could see immediately that differences in chemical activity might be related to my sleeplessness, lethargy, lack of concentration and teariness. My concerns disappeared. I talked it through with him and got a script. I have recently worked my way down to a lower dose as I sense I am coming out of a depressed state (eighteen months later). Think of it as chemical. That's all it is. Don't overprocess it. You have greater social stigmas in your life than anti-depressants that may work for you and not have side effects. H
0 Kudos
Versaillon
Contributor

Hey Samex! I openly disclose that I am on a daily dosage of happy pills (Prozac). I've had clinical depression twice now and both times, Prozac has been prescribed, not only to help my sleeping patterns but to help even me out enough so I could actively participate in getting myself well again! Now I'm taking Prozac to help me with symptoms of an anxiety disorder left over from my accident. As Harker has said, think of it more on a chemical level and nothing more. Taking anti-d's is about taking a step in getting yourself to a better level and I truly believe that had it not been for my medication and my very understanding, wonderful therapist, I probably wouldn't be here. I definitely had concerns at the start, the stigma of it, was I really that mentally unwell? The rational part of me decided that I needed to do what I could to get better, to be happy :) It took me a little while but I finally came out of my depression both times with some work and then had my GP wean me off the meds safely. It's not forever, only a little while....
0 Kudos
Mrs_Elton
Contributor

Sounds like Harker and Jo have some very valid points for you. I hope it helps in your decision process. Jill xo
0 Kudos
CATS
Contributor

Who Am I ?

Well it has finally happened - I looked at myself in the mirror and it was not me. The person I know to be me has wavy auburn hair, longish eyelashes,nicely shaped eyebrows and a pleasant face. The person looking back at me in the mirror is not me. That person has no eyebrows, very few eyelashes and light auburn fluff on her head - which can be seen through the fluff. Her eyes are haunted and her face is very sad. Tears blind me for a few seconds - how could this have happened in such a short time? I am not and never have been a vain person; I am ordinary looking and am happy with my appearance. I have never had any trouble getting a man, so I'm reasonable. If I went out tonight there would be a man drought wherever I went. I would not and could not humiliate myself in that way. I sound vain now - looks definitely are not everything, but unfortunately or fortunately - however one looks at it - they do help!. I have a disease that is killing me - I have no idea as to the severity - now - until I have my next scan. My chemo treatment seems to be going well even though side effects have resulted in my oral chemo being stopped - and yes I am worried that this will be a set back and recovery and treatment will be extended for a few more months. I want to look in the mirror again and laugh at my funny hair - or lack of - I want to see the positive, happy, carefree face looking back at me. I want to say to that person "THIS IS ALL PART OF GETTING WELL". At this moment I cannot say or do any of that. At this moment I am scared. At this moment I am wondering if this is all going to be in vain and I will not recover. At this moment I am wondering if I am ever going to look normal again. I want to get better. I want my hair and eyebrows and eyelashes to grow back, I want to laugh genuinely and stop putting on an act for everyone. I want to stop being unhappy. I want ME back.
0 Kudos
CATS
Contributor

Sorry - somehow my little piece of misery started in the replies section then made it's presence felt in the middle of the anti-depressant comments - an omen??? probably!. Follow the advice of those who know, samex - good luck.
0 Kudos
CATS
Contributor

Sorry - somehow my little piece of misery started in the replies section then made it's presence felt in the middle of the anti-depressant comments - an omen??? probably!. Follow the advice of those who know, samex - good luck.
0 Kudos
CATS
Contributor

Buggered if I know what I am doing - posted twice - think I'll go to bed for rest of day
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey samex It is a decision you have to make and one that is not easy. As you have said it means you have to admit to yourself, something that you probably have been trying to struggle through and deal with. I think i would be looking on it as something that was just going to help me get through this process that we go through. It is ok to get help and often we feel like we have to struggle on by ourselves and be tough, not so! My son suffers from depression, is not an easy road for anyone. hugsss Julie xo
0 Kudos
CATS
Contributor

samex I have suffered from mild to severe bouts of clinical depression since I was in my early 20's. I have been on anti depressants and anti anxiety medication nearly all of my adult life. Now-as with you and the horrid cancer experience- I am seriously considering going back on anti-depressants as I am becoming more unhappy and less able to cope each day. I think, once you realise something is not quite right, a GP appointment is the next step - it doesn't mean we are weak or 'mad' it means we want our lives back and be able to think clearly and rationally - I cannot see the problem with that!!
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.