Bowel Cancer My Story of Success so Far

dunedigger
Contributor

I was diagnosed withe VERY early bowel cancer in Feb 2008  but with advanced Mets in the liver. My liver looked like Swiss cheese, and was given 6 months without treatment. I have now had 10 cycles of Folfox6 + Avastin and am now nearly in remission. However I ant to remain on chmo for quite a while just to lick up any lingering nasties However I realize that Chemo only "buys time" You have to prevent it from reoccurring. Surgery was not an option for me as my liver was so badly affected.  I have no doubt in my mind I will beat this diagnosis with the fantastic help of my wife and a very well known natuapath, both of whom have made a big difference. I just keep reminding myself that I have to starve the cancer from the nutrients it needs to survive. I immediately changed my diet to being as organic as possable, No Fat, no Preservatives, No sugar and no red meat and a lot more fruit.  As I work in a family business, I have been basically wind my work and stress, right back and do only what I want to do which is the best therapy. I also understand that bowel cancer is the easiest to treat. I have plans on being around for another 20 years !  I am 60 but have a LOT to do yet  including starting our own organic vegetable garden.Dunedigger
0 Kudos
43 REPLIES 43
Kaza
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dunedigger You have been through a lot on your journey like many of us and you sound like you have the right frame of mind to beat this.  Being positive is the best way to go.  I hope you complete your chemo without many side affects and you finally get your organic vegie garden going.  If you are in the Sydney metro area I would certainly come and buy some. Stay strong Kaza
0 Kudos
dunedigger
Contributor

Just an update for those who are in the situation I was in . I remain in remission after 11 months of chemo. The last 5 months I have been just on Avastin, which has caused my liver tumors to further shrink. Some of the smaller tumors are no longer visible in a CAT scan along with the original bowel cancer.My oncologist has suggested I continue on Avastin for another 12 months.  My Surgeon and another oncologist has suggested I consider having radio ablation of the larger liver tumors. I figure I have not annoyed enough people  yet so will have to live for another 20 years to complete this goal !Dunedigger aka Rex
0 Kudos
dunedigger
Contributor

This week I have the blood test that tells me I'm in remission. CEA of 1.7 Ye har. Special thanks to Grace Gawler. I do not plan to have a relapse. Huge diet changes will ensure that. No Sugar, No Preservatives, No Food Colouring and mostly organic foodsDunedigger
0 Kudos
Molly
Occasional Contributor

Great to hear about your CEA readings that is wonderful news. Molly
0 Kudos
Molly
Occasional Contributor

Hi Rex, I am so pleased to hear your good news. Take care Molly
0 Kudos
bev
Frequent Contributor

Sorry that I didn't reply earlier to your postings. Well done on your results, keep up the good work. I have been told that I have/ and will always be very positive about the whole cancer thing. No time for moping around and "why me?". I believe in sharing my stories with others, as sometimes just a little thing that is mentioned could have been a BIG problem for someone and knowing that you are not alone in this helps.
0 Kudos
dunedigger
Contributor

I have had people ask about being positive. I know it is impossible to remain positive especially when sick from chemo or in pain, but one aspect I have discovered about myself is I  NEVER  doubted that chemo would work for me. I had absolute faith the chemo  would work. I also knew that complementary therapies, diet and lifestyle changes  was an essential part of treatment. Chemo bought me time and remission, and I now am   approaching the end of chemo, the changes I have made will help to remain in remissionI also believe that cancer will never bite me on the bum again. This may be blind faith, but as a hypnotherapist ( in  previous decades ) I know the value of faith is very important. That is not to say that I meditate,  but my attitude is that cancer will not get me, at least not till I'm ready and that won't be till I'm 80, another 20 yearsCheers for nowDunedigger 
0 Kudos
dunedigger
Contributor

Re: Bowel Cancer My Story of Success so Far

I had a colonoscopy done on Monday . . . all clear. Now just have to have the liver fixed Dunedigger
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Re: Bowel Cancer My Story of Success so Far

Congratulations dunedigger, that's fantastic news on the colonoscopy. How is the organic vegetable garden going - have you started it yet?
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.