Chemo side effects

Mary60
Contributor

Chemo side effects

Hi just letting people know I had my first chemo treatment about 3 weeks ago. The first chemo did not go well as I had problem breathing when I had the intravenous injection Oxaliplatin , which I had to stay in hospital over night in case something happens.  Then I had the oral tablet capaceitabine  which after about 4 days taking the oral I suffered a severe chest pain and into my arms , I  ended up in the emergency hospital.  It felt like I was having a heart attack.  Not too sure if it’s the treatment to strong for me so on Monday I will see the oncologist to see if they can lower it down or put me on something else.  As I don’t won’t to go through this again either wise I will stop the chemo.  

0 Kudos
2 REPLIES 2
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Chemo side effects

Hi @Mary60 

Yes, I had similar symptoms on a number of occasions  that started after round 6.

I didn't get the symptoms after every round.  It might start with a tingling, like pins and needles in my face, then migrated to my chest and I would struggle to breath.

I discussed it with the treatment team and they decided to reduce the dose of Oxaliplatin.

I know you can get through this.

0 Kudos
Mary60
Contributor

Re: Chemo side effects

Hi @sch  I saw my oncologist yesterday and told him about what happen with my first chemo.  I said I don’t want to go through this again where I had bad chest pain and in my arms.  Obviously it was the chemo tablet capecitabine that gave me this side effect which the oncologist said people do get bad effects from capecitabine.  So now I won’t be having that tablet anymore thank god, now on Friday I will be having my chemo but this time it’s a drug called Raltitrexed which work with Oxaliplatin and they will reduce the dose for Oxaliplatin.  I will let everyone know how I’m going and Tks for everyone who responds to my message.

Hugs to everyone 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.