Delaying chemo cycle

Kathyhtak
Contributor

Delaying chemo cycle

Hi, I am planning an overseas holiday between chemo cycles 7 & 8, but it means I would return several days after cycle 8 was due to start. Does anyone have experience with delaying a chemo cycle by several days or up to one week? I have oesophageal cancer with liver mets, responding well to chemo. Chemo is Epirubicin & Cisplatin (day 1 of cycle) and Fluorouracil via infusion pump for 21 days. Thanks, Kathy
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: Delaying chemo cycle

Hi Kathy If it was me I would be asking the onco bloke or gal if that is going to impact on your treatment at all. Others might be able to tell you if they have done it or not, is not something I experienced. Hope you are going ok with your treatment. Julie
0 Kudos
kasianne
Contributor

I would ask the oncologist but I only had 3 rounds of chemo for my esophageal cancer and was supposed to have a further 3 after my surgery but I did not undergo this as when they operated there was no evidence of cancer. I know my case is different but I was on the same chemo and I do know of a woman who had no choice but to delay her chemo. I would personally think of myself in this situation and the statistics of this cancer are very bad so if I was feeling up to it I would go away and have some happy memories to get me through the tough times. I am sure a couple of days delaying round 8 would not hurt but maybe the concern would be the infusion pump running out instead of being changed on time. Whatever decision you make it has to be right for you with guidance from your oncologist. Good luck with your travels.
0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Hi Kasianne, Thanks for your reply. I should have mentioned, my oncologist says next cycle I will probably be off the infusion pump and onto tablets instead, as my tumour has shrunk enough to allow me to swallow tablets - which is good progress. So at least I won't have to worry about the pump. Next I will have to figure out all the different paperwork I need to be able to take the tablets into other countries! The trip is something wonderful to look forward and also a good distraction from the cancer. Kathy
0 Kudos
Kathyhtak
Contributor

Thanks Julie,I will definitely be asking my oncologist at next appointment. I've heard from another medical team member that they should have no problem adjusting days here and there in the next few months to fit in with my travel plans. regards, Kathy
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Kathy I hope you have great travels if you get to go!! Come back and tell us all about it. :) Julie
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.