Fighting my oligodendroglioma grade 3

FighterD
New Contributor

Fighting my oligodendroglioma grade 3

This is my second touch with brain tumours! I had my first tumour removed in 2007, but it returned as grade 3 cancer, requiring a second surgery in October 2011. I finish radiation tomorrow (yay!) and should be starting chemotherapy in a few weeks. Not really sure what I want to say. I just want to connect to other cancer fighters to feel like I am less alone. I have a beautiful family who have all been so generous with their time and love, but I know they are finding it hard more than they would like and on a rational level i do understand why. The most hurtful comment was that it's all become about me and that our family now all have cancer. That's hard to hear, especially when im so tired from the radiation. The truth is that none of us want this, least of all me 😞 but what they say is true. And I hate that it's my fault. Words of encouragement and support would be greatly appreciated. I am tired from the radiation and trying to stay strong for everyone. I know I should be getting more sleep and focusing on positive thinking/ yoga to get through this as best as possible, but I'm feeling too tired to even start! Hoping when the radiation is over I will feel better? Dana
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
exhausted
Contributor

Re: Fighting my oligodendroglioma grade 3

Hi Dana, my husband had radiation for 3/4 astrocytoma in sept 2010 and he was terribly tired but it did settle after a few weeks. More than a year on and he tires easily but no where near as bad as back then. Keep your chin up, Terese.
0 Kudos
wombat4
Contributor

Hi Dana, None of this is your fault, its just the position you find yourself at this moment in time. I will bet there are not too many people out there that would swap places with you.People under stress sometimes say things they do not mean to people they love. They wish things were how they used to be without the cancer not how things are now.All of us that have been touched by cancer wish this. What you are going through now is a work in progress, so keep strong Think of good things, favourite things, meditation, yoga, and positive thinking are all good, so is gentle reflexology, these things will make you stronger and more able to handle what you are going through at the moment, I know it is difficult but try not to think negative thoughts. Dont try to take on too much when you are tired from the radiation therapy, read books that interest you and try to rest when you get tired. Good luck with the chemo and stay positive. wombat4
0 Kudos
Andrea_has_a_he
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dana I am only just starting my journey (TCC Bladder) and hope I have the courage to fight on. Family are funny at times say the wrong thing at times, but I bet bottom dollar they regret what they have said and do not know how to rectify it. I nursed my father in his last 6 weeks of his cancer several years ago (Metastatic TCC Bladder) so I do know what siblings and loved ones do and say. I am at a stage of frustration and trying to get through that part of not knowing. Please stay positive and rest when you have to so that you can keep your strength and stay positve like I am trying to do. Andrea
0 Kudos
Andrea_has_a_he
Occasional Contributor

Hi Dana I am only just starting my journey (TCC Bladder) and hope I have the courage to fight on. Family are funny at times say the wrong thing at times, but I bet bottom dollar they regret what they have said and do not know how to rectify it. I nursed my father in his last 6 weeks of his cancer several years ago (Metastatic TCC Bladder) so I do know what siblings and loved ones do and say. I am at a stage of frustration and trying to get through that part of not knowing. Please stay positive and rest when you have to so that you can keep your strength and stay positive like I am trying to do. Andrea
0 Kudos
FighterD
New Contributor

Thank you all for your encouraging comments. I have been too tired to find any words to even write until now! t am touched and surprised all at the same time :) Wombat4- you are right about family Saying things when they a stresses that they regret later. My sister feels terrible. At least this has taught us all to be better communicators. Andrea- my thoughts are with you, especially knowing what could be ahead of you after nursing your father who had the same thing 😞 Has a bed become available for you yet? D
0 Kudos
Andrea_has_a_he
Occasional Contributor

Thanks all Well the tumour was removed on the 18th January 4 weeks later they graded me T1G3 an aggressive cancer, then to scrap all to find out that I have had a lot of changes the lymph node is larger and more have appeared and can not get a biopsy as the node is behind the bladder, having a new scan done soon and now have a secondary cancer, prognosis not good start chemotherapy on the 28th February.first treatment 6hrs the next one a week later 1 hour the following week 1 hr the 4th week off then start again can not remember how long this runs for will have to ask again on Tuesday. Starting to get apprehensive about chemo I think its because of the unknown and do not know what is going to happen next. Andrea
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.