Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (GIST)

Gabe
Occasional Contributor

Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (GIST)

I am wondering if there are people on Cancer Connections with this rare sarcoma ...Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumour (GIST)? I had surgery on the 1s to August to remove a 24CM tumour and have now started on the Chemo. drug Glivec (imatinib). From all my online research there would not be too many people with GIST in Australia. P.S. I am a 7 years survivor of Oral Cancer.
0 Kudos
41 REPLIES 41
Jade32
Occasional Contributor

Re: Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor (GIST)

Hey there, I was diagnosed with GIST about two weeks ago.
0 Kudos
Perry
New Contributor

Yes, I'm on Gleevec post-surgery, too. Mine was rectal, and is an Exon 11 deletion with 30/50 HPFs (high risk of recurrence). You'll find me on the GIST Facebook pages, too, as well as the Dana Farber Cancer Institute groups. -Perry-
0 Kudos
Gabe
Occasional Contributor

Hi Perry, How do I find you on the GIST Facebook pages? I am also on a few FB GIST groups. Gabriele
0 Kudos
Gabe
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jade32, I was also diagnosed around 4 weeks ago. Can you let me know a little more?
0 Kudos
Perry
New Contributor

Look for me as PerryLowell: https://www.facebook.com/perry.lowell The GIST pages you can just search on GIST. See you there, too! -Perry-
0 Kudos
Gabe
Occasional Contributor

Found you and friend request sent......I am in all the same GIST groups and remember seeing your posts there 🙂
0 Kudos
Jade32
Occasional Contributor

I have a tumour on or around the stomach/bowel area. This has also spread to the liver, so surgery is no longer an option. I've just started on Glivec(imatinib). Thanks for replying.
0 Kudos
Gabe
Occasional Contributor

Hope you are doing OK on the Glivec. I have only been on it for just over 2 weeks...I take my 16th tablet (400mg) after dinner tonight. So far so good with pretty minor side effects. I am very new to this so there is nothing I can offer in the way of advice. I only know that the Glivec should be shrinking your tumour. Are you having CT scans every 3 months? Gabriele
0 Kudos
footie_and_bill
Occasional Contributor

hello Gabe, I was diagnosed with metatastic gist exxon 9 in my liver on 13/9/11 and was put on glivec 800 mg for 14 months.i have only found about 10 people with gist in australia in 2 years.i hope you have a good response on glivec it has been the easiest one for me to tolerate.hoping for the best for you footie.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.