Head and Neck cancer, 4 weeks after

Azjoetrucker
Frequent Contributor

Head and Neck cancer, 4 weeks after

That Radio Neck Rash Update...

As I mentioned three weeks ago...my neck skin started breaking up right around two weeks after the last Radio treatment.

I blamed it on my proclivity for being in the Arizona Desert Sun whenever I get the chance and energy but it seems it was just a natural progression in the aftermath of the treatment.

The dry patches sloughed off to display the fatty tissues in the endodermis and further lower.  Painful to say the least.

As you can see from the pics, the skin just kept sloughing off all around the neck, specially the front and towards the collarbone.

Being a wimp when it comes to. Pain in inconvenient places, we took a trip to the Dollar store and got their generic Triple Antibiotic Cream (tried regular A&D ointment but I don't believe it worked as fast on the healing end).

I am happy to report that after a 13 day period, the Radio Collar is healed, the skin well on its way to returning to "normal".

By the way-after applying the ointment, my sweetheart (Wife and family CEO as well) did put gauze bandage all around the neck to minimize chafing.20190621_091028_HDR-2.jpg

20190621_090953-1.jpg

20190619_190340-1.jpg

How it startedHow it started

Real ouchy stage 8 daysReal ouchy stage 8 days

About 13 days after 1st pic.  Almost healedAbout 13 days after 1st pic. Almost healed

3 REPLIES 3
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Head and Neck cancer, 4 weeks after

Ouch!
Katekat
Valued Contributor

Oww indeed, glad it's healing!!

Lor
New Contributor

I can relate. Youre doing a great job...yes its ouch. I had 5 weeks radio on right side after masectomy...and skin went raw ..open wound in the last week.. Mepitel gauze..heaps of solugel..applied constantly..then covered with stretchy bandages.. That was early April...its completely healed now. Yours will too..Good luck and keep strong 🙂 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.