Ivor Lewis procedure survivors

Angel_B
Occasional Contributor

Ivor Lewis procedure survivors

I had this procedure over 5 weeks ago now.

Given the enormity of the procedure and the lifelong dietary and possible other changes it would entail, I did consider not having it and just letting the cancer have its way, but here I am now.

I know it's early days yet but I already have regrets. I am exhausted all the time and am finding having to intake calories is the last thing i want to do as I have no hunger.

I guess I'm looking for some insight from anyone who has gone through this procedure and is further down the road than I am as to whether it gets easier/better. I just feel like giving up right now.

4 REPLIES 4
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: Ivor Lewis procedure survivors

Hi Angel. Just read your post and so sorry for your suffering. I haven’t had your procedure but when I had my first round of RChop chemo I had a really bad reaction and did regret having it and was so devastated by it all. But then I did improve and my dose was adjusted and life got better. So I hope and pray that you will turn a corner soon and your symptoms will improve. Hope you have lots of support. 💕Linda G

Angel_B
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for your quick reply Linda.

I'm frustrated as now that I've had the procedure, there's no going back so I have to make the most of what's left of me. 😞

0 Kudos
sch
Super Contributor

Hi,

Firstly, I wanted to say that I'm sorry that this has happened to you and that it is heart breaking to read.

I haven't had this procedure but I wanted to let you know that there is hope.

I feel for you.

It might feel impossibly difficult now and that you can't see how it could be possibly worth it, but our bodies and minds have an amazing ability to adapt to different situations. I say this as someone who has had 2 major life changing operations (and countless others that weren't life changing).

A number of years ago now I had a total colectomy. I was terrified about how that operation would effect me afterwards.  At the start it was difficult, but over time I learnt to adapt and live with side effects. The more I adapted, the more functional I became. The more functional I became, the more I adapted.

There is hope Angel and I know that you will be triumphant.

-s

Angel_B
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the words of encouragement sch.

I am trying to take one day at a time and not worry about tomorrow. That's all I can do for now.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.