Problems after Mastectomy , Large tender swelling,

Barbara23
New Contributor

Problems after Mastectomy , Large tender swelling,

Hi all I had breast cancer in 2016, and 3 weeks of Radiotherapy.

The breast cancer returned in 2019 and I had to have a Mastectomy. A few months later, I started to get a tender swelling, from the both ends of the Mastectomy scar. When my arm touches the swelling, it's very tender.

My Consultant said it was baggy tissue from the skin damage, from the Radiotherapy.

Se couldn't operate as it could have made it worse. I was given Lidocaine patches, but it hurt too much when I removed them. She said it was Neuropathic pain. I was then given Pregabalin tablets.

But I don't like the side effects.

Has this happened to anyone else, how have they managed controlling the tenderness.

I would love to hear from someone, how they dealt with it. She said it wasn't Lymphoedema.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Wegotthis
Frequent Contributor

Re: Problems after Mastectomy , Large tender swelling,

Barbara 

Sorry no one was able to help you with some answers. 

Just checking up on you to see how you are doing. 

My aunt just found out she has breast cancer and will be going through what you have. 

I have lymphoma . It's a blood cancer. 

I'm more worried about her but she's more worried about me. She feels that once they removed both of her breast she's going to be fine. As a 55 year old man I don't think that it's not a big deal for women to go through that.

I hope you are healing well 🌹

0 Kudos
medical-02
New Contributor

The vast majority of breast cancer patients have the opportunity of surgery when they see a doctor, so surgical treatment is the basic method of breast cancer treatment. According to the individual's condition and wishes before the operation, the doctor will comprehensively consider the choice of different surgical methods. Some patients need to have all the breasts removed, or even the axillary lymph nodes on the same side need to be cleaned; while some patients can choose to remove only the tumor tissues, preserve the breasts, and maintain a good appearance.

Breast reconstruction surgery has developed rapidly in recent years, which has brought good news to more breast cancer patients. Some breast cancer patients may also need comprehensive treatments such as radiotherapy and chemotherapy after surgery. This needs to be analyzed according to the specific condition. . Adequate rest, maintain a good sleep, regular review, regular treatment, breast cancer survival period is very long.

Very sad to hear this news! Hope you get well soon!

Barbara23
New Contributor

Hi Sorry not sure if I replied to you. I hope your aunt recovers well. It is a big deal to go through.
I was very distraught afterwards, and still don't like looking at myself in a mirror. I am glad though that I'm still here. I hope your treatment is working and you are going to be ok.
All the best. Barbara.
0 Kudos
victoria1

Hi Barbara- I’m so sorry to hear of what you are going through post mastectomy: My situation is a bit different to yours, but I’m sharing my experience after radiation and a mastectomy, in case something is useful for you.
I was originally diagnosed with breast cancer in 2018, had a lumpectomy and sentinel lymph node biopsy, chemo, a year of Herceptin and three weeks of radiation.  In September 2021, I was diagnosed with a loco-regional recurrence in the same breast, and had a mastectomy and axillary clearance.  Like you, i had radiation the first time, and there was concern from a few surgeons about the damage done to my skin, and how it would impact my surgery, especially as I wanted reconstruction.  
I had a mastectomy and immediate reconstruction but due to my previously irradiation, my surgeon had to make some modifications, and I have some very thick and painful scars as a result.

I was told to massage the area, and have been doing so twice a day for three months now around the scars and the tissue near my scarring, and also been working with a physiotherapist.  While it is really painful sometimes even to touch my skin around the mastectomy site, ultimately it does seem to be improving the pain and the bulkiness of the scar and surrounds. I have also recently started using a cream called Cicaplast, which is supposed to be for traumatised skin - I figure that anything I can use to soften and maybe heal skin and tissue that has been both irradiated and subjected to surgical trauma is a good thing!  I hope things improve for you soon, and you find something to lessen the pain and discomfort.  Take care, Victoria 

0 Kudos
Barbara23
New Contributor

Hi

Thank you so much for telling me what you have been through, and the advice.

It sounds like you have been through a lot more problems than I have.

I do wish you all the best, and home you find further help to ease your problems.

Barbara.

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.