Recurrence of cancer

Jude
Occasional Contributor

Recurrence of cancer

In February I had a PET scan which showed four small but enlarged lymph nodes in the para-aortic and mediastinum. They are too small to biopsy, so surgery has been ruled out. I have been offered two alternatives; hormone treatment or radiation treatment. I have until next Monday (9 March) to make up my mind. Has anyone had this experience? I'd like to hear from anyone in a similar position.
0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
katman2
New Contributor

Re: Recurrence of cancer

hi jude, I have had surgery for stage 4 bowel cancer, with mets spread to liver and para-aortic lymph nodes. now on 3rd round of chemo, have been told if they shrink after 4th round they will operate. hope all goes well with your treatment.
0 Kudos
GHT
Contributor

Hi Jude I am having hormone therapy 400 mg progesterone per day. This is for primary Gr 1 uterus cancer as I can't have surgery due to anaesthetic risk meaning no hysterectomy. The side effects are mostly bloating, cramping, headaches and fatigue but they have not been constant. I have been reading up a lot about hormone therapy and it seems it works for some ppl with cancer that is progesterone sensitive but less so if it isn't. I guess you need to ask your oncologist about the research as it applies to your cancer. I am crossing my fingers not to have Brachytherapy but if it is your better chance of getting well then I guess it is about short term pain for long term gain if cancer can be reduced to such equations which I doubt. I hope treatment works for you ( and me) and we are both rid of this scourge.
0 Kudos
little_stitcher
Super Contributor

Hi Ladies, I'm 38 and I've been on hrt for 15 years (not cancer related). One of the things I can really recommend to deal with progesterone side effects is Evening Primrose Oil. You can buy it from Supermarkets (probably good to check with your doctor first, to make sure it won't interact badly with other medications). I take 2 capsules in the morning and evening when I'm taking the progresterone component of my hrt, and find it helps with my PMS type symptoms. Hope everything goes well for you all. love Emily
0 Kudos
GHT
Contributor

Thanks for advice re primrose oil Little Stitcher Hey Jude, how did you go with your treatment decision? I just saw my oncologist today and he wants me to do another month of high dose Provera then I will have ultrasound to see if it has worked. If not its radiation. I told mr Dr I will only do Brachytherapy with Midazalam to knock me out and thankfully he agreed. Good luck with whatever txt you have Jude. I am crossing fingers and toes for you
0 Kudos
Jude
Occasional Contributor

I decided to go with the radiation treatment, mainly because my radiation oncologist was more optimistic about this treatment than was my medical oncologist about hormone treatment. ( I should explain that I have a team of three oncologists whom I regularly see.) So the treatment will begin in the next three weeks, and I've been warned it will make me nauseous for the whole time and some time after the treatment ceases. Thank you for your comments. Jude
0 Kudos
GHT
Contributor

Dear Jude I can understand that the confidence of the oncologist in the treatment would be a big factor. Given then warning re nausea can you start now with eating good quality foods to bring your body to a strong place before radiation. Also, if you have had radiation before can you recall the food/ drinks that were easiest for you to manage? I really hope the treatment is a success. Do you like music. I find an iPod a must to focus my senses away from the stuff going on physically Cheers GHT
0 Kudos
Jude
Occasional Contributor

Thanks GHT. I use meditation to get through the treatment and find that works. However after 5 weeks everything starts to pall. Jude
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.