Washing clothes

Pmjbc611
New Contributor

Washing clothes

Hello everyone, wishing everybody my heartfelt thoughts through your journey either with yourself or with your family.

I have a  question - my daughter who is now 5 was diagnosed at 3 years old with Medulloblastoma (brain and spine cancer) . 

We were in the hospital for a long time and finally went home, (our story is really long) she has a gtube and trach but luckily she pulled thru difficult critical times.
We brought her home but chemo didnt do much for her aggressive cancer. She did radiation but her tumour came back. She just had surgery and they dont think she can be cured but we are doing all we can to give her   more time with us. 
So my main question is, I am going to be bringing our new baby home in January. My daughter is going to be starting Affinitor (chemo/targeted therapy) which will only

be about 2ml Thru gtube.  my husband will be giving it to her, but I change her and all that stuff. (She was on a oral similar med but she stopped bc it wasnt working) so I was very careful. I sealed everything, wore double nitrile gloves, a mask and washed my hands throughly more than once each time I changed hermy main question is If I wash my newborns clothes in the washing machine seperate from my daughters (which she probably wont get much on her clothes) anyway, would this be ok? 
i’m nervous the mediciation will linger in the machine like I wash hers seperate and also wash the new baby’s clothes in there would you be concerned? 
I know I sound crazy.

Just so hard not to worry About everything.

4 REPLIES 4
Budgie
Super Contributor

Re: Washing clothes

Hi @Pmjbc611,

You definitely do not sound crazy, but are very thoughtful. I would do a rinse through the machine with no clothes- just hot water & a tablespoon of bicarb soda, after your older daughters clothes have been washed. You could also do her clothes last of the day & make sure the washing machine is left open to dry out overnight before the next load is put in.

Cheers

Budgie
Pmjbc611
New Contributor

Hi Budgie,

thank you for your reply. I clean my machine with tablets every so often anyway so I was thinking that as well. 
doesnt seem as if anyone else worries of this as much as I am as google isnt bringing up much if anyone ele has ever asked this! 
maybe I’m overthinking. 

Thanks again 

Budgie
Super Contributor

Well, there's nothing wrong with being worried for the health of your child! You can always talk to your daughter's oncologist team, they should be able to put your mind at ease.

Cheers
0 Kudos
Wegotthis
Frequent Contributor

I'm SO SORRY you and your family are going through this. 

I would trade places with your oldest daughter in a second...

Your post is exactly why I don't worry about if I do have cancer...

I'm still waiting for my biopsy results. 

My heart hurts 💔 

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.