haemorrhoids

pimbok
Contributor

haemorrhoids

Has anyone had any trouble with haemorrhoids during their radiation? I've tried spitz baths, cold packs and medications from the chemist but nothing works. The pain is insane and any suggestions to help would be wonderful. Thanks.
0 Kudos
10 REPLIES 10
exhausted
Contributor

Re: haemorrhoids

Hi my husband battles with constipation while on chemo, coloxyl with senna helps him and the palliative care nurse has told us there is lots of other options if needed. Have you asked the doctors for some stronger medication assistance? And of course keep your fluids up and lots of fruit and fibre. Good luck with it.
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

pimbok I don,t know if this will help but before i was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer every bowel motion I had burnt me all day tried everything nothing else worked then I used a medical new zealand manuka honey smeared on the bum only thing that stopped pain but you cant use if you are diabetic what other forum would you put this up on,just a suggestion since i had whipples burning stopped, bile duct was blocked,hope thi helps kj
0 Kudos
pimbok
Contributor

Hi guys, Thanks to both of you. My bowel motions are actually really good but the radiation is touching on my anal area and not helping with the haeorrhoids. I've just order some active manuka honey and will give that a go. I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks again to both. Kim
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Sorry no new ideas as the only time I have had them is from giving birth to my sons ,both difficult births . My daughter's birth was easier. Have you spoken to your doctors about it? How are you otherwise ?
0 Kudos
pimbok
Contributor

Thanks, have spoken to doctor and nurses and am following through on a couple of different things which today, for the first day in a few weeks, have actually made a difference. Such a relief. Other than that, am going not too badly. Starting to burn a bit but nothing too bad. How are you at the moment? Are you looking into plastic surgery?
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

Glad you are getting some relief. I am ok.Not looking into plastic surgery until after I see my surgeon which is in September or October.Even then I may be too nervous. Have been having knee trouble this week . In 2006 saw an orthopaedic surgeon and had the option of surgery but hesitated and the knee didn't play up as much but now is worse at times. I may have surgery if this doctor recommmends it. Otherwise walking and physio may be the answer. I see this ortho in a month's time. My gp thinks surgery is best. All the best for the rest of your treatment.
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi, I had anal cancer that was an ulcer and the pain was insane!!, especially after the biopsy and the first part of radiation treatment.I would have a bowel movement in the morning, and still be shaking with pain and exhaustion at about lunch time most days. There is also something you can get that is cream or pessary, midwives give it to new mums, I don't have my records here so I can't say what it is called. It was Ok but using it would tear my ulcer I tried zylocaine,might also be called lignocaine gel, I initially got some over the counter from a chemist. This was in New Zealand, it might be a bit different here. It worked for fairly rapid , short lived pain relief. I also had a good GP, we looked it up in her medicine book and saw that you could get a urethral applicator. I thought that was grand because I could insert a tiny tube. Any way it wasn't what I imagined, but was a box of 10 applicators in sterile packaging. I used that, lots. It was a sanity saver. I suspect it isn't best for long term use, but oh gosh just knowing that there was relief was soo good. I looked back in my diary and see I wrote about how it was nice to be able to sit properly for the first time in months. I did use honey, but as the skin got more burnt the honey became a bit irritating. Salt baths were good too. I did have morphine but found that it didn't really deal with the pain, I just got a bit happier, and sleepy and then didn't really get the urge to have a bowel movement. And even though it hurt I knew I had to go every day or else it would be worse if I got constipated. And the other thing that helped the flow but not the pain was putting my feet on a box about 10 - 20 cm high kind regards Jan
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Ps. I can relate to the insanity of the pain. I do hope you get some relief
0 Kudos
pimbok
Contributor

Wow Jan! Have you been through the mill! Fortunately, my haemorrhoids have disappeared and that part of my life is now relatively normal but boy can I relate to some of the pain you must have gone through - pure hell. Thanks so much for your response. I'm hoping things are going really well for you now. Kim
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.