newly diagnosed

lynnibear07
Occasional Contributor

newly diagnosed

Hi my name is Lynne and have joined this as i have been recently diagnosed with follicular thyroid cancer (Wednesday). and although my surgeon has assured me she has removed all the cancer, i am still getting my head around the whole "c bomb". as i was being positive that it wasn't cancerous. I am to have thyroid removal in the new year as a precautionary measure and then, have radioactive iodine treatment afterwards.
0 Kudos
12 REPLIES 12
Sunshine006au
Contributor

Re: newly diagnosed

Hi Lynnibear07, It is devastating to get the results to say that you have "C"... We as a family were shell shocked when we were told my dad had throat cancer in Feb this year, it has been a long battle but finally tonight we have dad at home with us...I wish you all the luck during your surgery & look forward to chatting soon..Merry Christmas...Sending hugs your way... Sunshine 🙂
0 Kudos
lynnibear07
Occasional Contributor

Hi sunshine, glad to hear your dad is home. how is he going?? and what treatment did your dad have? My surgeon removed all the cancer, and she is removing the thyroid as a precaution. It's all so scary, especially when we were being so positive as it was 80% it wasn't cancer then it turns out it was. now my family is just focusing on xmas and having a lovely time away. my uncle has a holiday house which he has offered when needed which was really lovely. i have lots of love and great friends and family around for support, as well as now being on here.l all the best for your dad and thank you for your well wishes, and i hope you all have a very merry xmas and a great healthy new year for 2012. xx lynne
0 Kudos
neen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lynnibear07 I hope that you are doing ok, and your christmas was enjoyed with the least stress possible. I was diagnosed on 3/9/11, i had my thyroid removed in october and am waiting for radioactive iodine treatment. Its alot to take on isnt it.....one day at a time..sometimes an hour at a time is easier. I noticed you are a young mum too, that can have its challenges when things are so crazy! I have a 2 1/2 year old, she certainly makes the days worth it though, she constantly amazes me! I'm sending all my wishes your way and hope that you and your family have many special moments to enjoy together this xmas/ new year. let me know how you go lots of luck neen
0 Kudos
Sunshine006au
Contributor

Hi Lynne, sorry for the late response, just finding time lately is hard. Dad had cancer on the vocal chords, first this was treated with radiation but that didn't work, in Sept dad had a total laryngectomy, the healing has been hampered by the wound not healing & a salivary gland fistula. We only had dad home one night then rushed him back to hospital & he is now in ICU with pneumonia, they now say we might get him home by Australia Day :( They say they are 80% sure they got the cancer so the biggest hurdle at the moment is hopeing the wound heals & then dad can have another op to close the fistula. Hope you had a lovely Christmas & Happy New Year to you & your family. Warm Wishes Alison
0 Kudos
Not applicable

I am so sorry that you have to go through all this! Though, its nice that you found this forum, as here you`ll find a lot of supportive people and important information.
0 Kudos
wombat4
Contributor

Hi Lynne, It is indeed devastating news, I remember when when in the doctors surgery after the results for my wifes blood tests and scans came back and he said, it is cancer. Our world went from one of colour to one of grey,stay positive Lynne, it helps, it makes you stronger, wombat4
0 Kudos
lynnibear07
Occasional Contributor

hi sunshine, yep it certainly is a shock. but i have re built my positiveness back up again after having it shattered. I just can't wait to have the surgery, and then the treatment, then i will be at ease a bit more. xxoo
0 Kudos
lynnibear07
Occasional Contributor

Hi neen, i had a lovely xmas, and have just returned from 2 weeks of rest and relaxation. I am awaiting a letter of pre admin and surgery date then radioactive iodine treatment will be approx in april? where are you having your treatment if you dont' mind me asking? hope you have it soon and keep me posted. my boy is 4, turning 5 this april. all the best xx lynne
0 Kudos
neen
Occasional Contributor

Hi Lynne I have my treatment in 2 and a half weeks, it will be at the John Hunter in Newcastle. My surgery was done in Gosford hospital, how about you? Take care, and will definately keep you posted! Neen x
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.