picc line

Rubes1984
Contributor

picc line

Going tomorrow to get my picc line put in. Must admit I'm terrified as I hate needles and the stuff in the internet has only increased my anxiety. Has anyone got any advice or experiences they can share about having picc line during rtreatment.? It was my choice to have a picc (i was given a choice), it was sold as being lot less painful in the long run and easier for treatment.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
kasianne
Contributor

Re: picc line

Hi Rubes I had a PICC line inserted for my chemo back in September last year and reading and seeing diagrams of what they were going to do does seem a little overwhelming and scary but I have to say I am so glad I had it. Once the chemo started and you are faced with numerous blood tests and then huge syringes of liquid, bags of chemicals and saline and any other type of liquid you are deemed to need, in my case potassium, you begin to appreciate how the one procedure to fit the PICC is nothing compared to the number of needles you would have to face for each canula. It is a little unsightly and always there but not hard to cover with a shirt and you know it is only a temporary adornment but such a useful thing even allowing more than one thing to be administered at one time due to it having more than one port. Good luck with it and you dont have to watch it going in as you are lay down and hopefully they will talk mindless chat with you to take your mind off the procedure lie they did with me and until the treatment gets in full flow you will not appreciate how many needles it will save you. I also watched the scan machine pictures and they also distracted me watching the line go in. I had a second one fitted after my op to administer the cocktails I needed then of antibiotics, saline, potassium, magnesium and many other substances in a bag so a very useful contraption that sounds a lot worse than it is. Kasianne
0 Kudos
Rubes1984
Contributor

Hi kasianne, I would definitely agree the picc Line is the way to go, it makes treatment so much easier. Rubes
0 Kudos
Bindy
Occasional Contributor

I had a picc line for my second time of cancer treatment. I chose not to have it the first time and had a lot of trouble with them finding veins. So when I relapsed I chose to have the picc. It is much easier for treatment with nurses and doctors not having to find a viable vein for every treatment. I had mine in for six months and had a visiting nurse come to my house when I wasnt in hospital to check it.
0 Kudos
Ron50
Contributor

I must admit that when I read how todays chemo is administerred I get a little jealous. I started chemo in jan 1998 and the only option I had was via canula. I had 48 sessions and each week they used the opposite hand. By the end of the year my veins were almost black all the way to the shoulder. The upside was that it worked and I am still ca free. Good luck with your treatment Rubes......Ron.
0 Kudos
Rubes1984
Contributor

I must admit I am seeing the wonderful value (of picc lines) and advances in cancer treatment. This wk at chemo a few people were getting cannulas put in and i could see the pain for these people. I am very happy with the choice of a picc line and would definitely recommend to others receiving chemotherapy. Ron50 I really feel for u and receiving all those treatments without the picc line would have been so horrible and painful. I am very grateful to the changes in cancer treatment options.....its pretty amazing actually 🙂 Thanks for ur warm wishes. Rubes
0 Kudos
Carme
Occasional Contributor

HI, I've not had a PICC but managed many of them in my day to day work- they are definitely the way to go, they can stay in longer than IVs and bc they sit in bigger vessels they can handle much stronger medications without irritating the veins. The nurses should ensure the PICC is flushed properly everytime it is used.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.