Coping with chemo mood swings

Alwk
Occasional Contributor

Coping with chemo mood swings

My husband has gone aggressive chemo for 3 months and has had multiple complications with a port leak. He is really short tempered and is snapping at me all the time. I’m trying to ignore it but it’s hard. I am trying my best to support him but am losing the will to continue. I love my husband but I don’t know if we will make it through medically or if our marriage will survive this cancer. 

3 REPLIES 3
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Coping with chemo mood swings

Certainly this is not an uncommon complaint. You are not alone.

How are you things going now? Have they improved?

-s

0 Kudos
Beanz2020
Occasional Contributor

I hope you are coping okay? It’s very hard for us who are the brunt of our husband’s anger and changed personalities due to this disease. I don’t know if this helps but I try to walk every day and swim laps to empty my head of his bad vibes. Of course that plan goes pear shaped when he wants to walk with me and I’ve got this ball of anger striding along at my side🙄

I try to look at the long game and I don’t want to look back and feel regret for how I handled things.

Alwk
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the comments.
I know I’m not alone and I have a great family and friends support system but still feel so alone, my husband is so angry and I’m trying to throw myself into projects such as gardening and painting which helps a little. Things are up and down it feels a bit like a roller coaster.
I’m getting away for a couple of days next weekend so hoping that helps.
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.