Need help with nutrition ideas for someone with oral cancer

Wendy
New Contributor

Need help with nutrition ideas for someone with oral cancer

I really need some help finding ideas on what I can feed my partner. He's recently been diagnosed with oral cancer and is down to 56kg. We have sustagen and other protein drinks but nothing seems to be working. Does anyone have any ideas on what he can eat that is easy for him and that will put on weight. He was meant to have all of his teeth removed today but surgery was cancelled due to emergencies at the hospital. I know once his teeth are out that weight gain will be very hard so we are trying to get as much weight onto him as we can now. Any ideas for after his surgery would also be helpful too.
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
oralcancerfound
Not applicable

Re: Need help with nutrition ideas for someone with oral cancer

Hi Wendy, Im sorry to hear about your partner. My name is Megan and I am with the Oral Cancer Foundation. We are a non-profit based out of California but our website has tons of information on oral cancer that you and your partner can benefit from. I would also encourage you to visit our survivor/patient forum. http://oralcancersupport.org/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=cfrm here, you and your partner can create a login name and talk with thousands of survivors and patients who have been and are going through the same thing right now. If you post a topic or question I guarantee you will receive an answer within minutes. You can also visit our website here: www.oralcancer.org Please feel free to contact me directly if you have any questions. cannon@oralcancerfoundation.org No-one has to go through this alone, and we are here to help. I wish you and your partner the best.
0 Kudos
admin_one
Contributor

Thanks Megan. Wendi, I also invite you to call the HelpLine on 13 11 20 (for the cost of a local call). They would be able to give you some additional advice and maybe some local support. Best, Totocol (aka Raul)
0 Kudos
Wendy
New Contributor

Thanks to both of you for your answers. We have since relocated from North Qld to NSW to have family support. With this change we have also gained a great dietician who has been very helpful. I'm glad to say he's putting on weight but still has a way to go. I'll also be sure to check out the site suggested above. Thanks also Raul, I've contacted the cancer council previously and they do an amazing job.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.