Bone Cancer

aj
New Contributor

Bone Cancer

My husband is due to have a kidney removed soon. Originally only the tumour was to be removed but now that it has grown to be about 4cm at last scan, it is likely the whole kidney will be taken laparoscopically It has metastasised into a rib and the cardiothoracic team are going to remove his fourth rib. The urologist said that without this surgery, he would succumb to the disease in 18 months to 2 years.It has yet to be decided whether the two operations will be done at the same time or on different dates. Can anyone tell me how long an operation to remove a rib lasts, or what is involved? After this is dealt with, then they begin to tackle his prostate cancer.He previously had a big operation to remove tumours which started in the cecum and finished up connecting the ascending colon to the descending colon. He is a bit nervous and would like to have some more information. Ciao! AJ
0 Kudos
3 REPLIES 3
wombat4
Contributor

Re: Bone Cancer

Hi AJ, What you and your husband are going through is indeed an overpowering experience. I cannot help you with your questions but my heart goes out to you. Stay strong both of you. wombat4
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I also cannot answer your question but wish you and your husband well.
0 Kudos
julia.w
Deceased

I'm surprised they're taking out his rib. My breast cancer has metastasized to many bones throughout my torso including all of my spine and most of my ribs as well as pelvis, shoulders, etc. my understanding is that it simply is treated as a chronic condition for which pain medications are prescribed and which is not life threatening. I'm sorry for everything your husband is going though and wish him good luck
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.