head and neck cancer

Marty1
Occasional Contributor

Re: head and neck cancer

Hi Jules, we have been running the H & N Cancer Support Group since 2005 at Cancer Council Qld on 2nd Tuesday of every month. Why don't you join us next Tuesday and see if it suits.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Marty Thanks and I hope you are well supported in your group, unfortunately, I am working and also live in Western Australia but I do thank you very much for your offer. :) My point re many people trying to start similar/same groups is that it is a waste. People really need to join together and get an Oral Cancer Foundation for the whole of Australia. I did some volunteer work when i finished treatment and was updating a booklet of resources for cancer patients and there was five pages of organisations that actually support cancer patients. WHich in my opinion is just way too many and realistically someone who is newly diagnosed and undergoing treatment hardly have the knowledge or resources to access some of this help. It is a waste of resources once again. Hah! Am now hopping off my soapbox and thank you once again for the invite but will have to take a rain check. ;) Julie
0 Kudos
Marty1
Occasional Contributor

Yes Julie, I can see how it can become overwhelming. I am now 8 years cancer free and at our support group I see how people react when they are given the diagnosis and how they can be treated by SOME members of the medical fraternity. I work full time and do this when I can in my spare time. I am in the process of trying to link the Head and Neck Cancer Support Groups in Australia and create greater awareness for what (as you would know) is now the 6th largest cancer in Australia and it looks like it is still effecting people in greater numbers each year. As I said, the objective is not only to raise awareness for Head and Neck Cancer within the medical professions but also to see if we can start helping those that have finished treatment and feel they don’t have a voice. (no pun intended) One of the best ways for everyone to keep in contact might be to get onto the Facebook page: Head and Neck Cancer Support Australia http://www.facebook.com/headandneckcancersupportaustralia If you can and your network can, “Like” it, then we can keep everyone up to date with postings of what’s happening with your group and make sure the correct information regarding Head and Neck Cancer is available to everyone. It’s also a great source of information from around the world.
0 Kudos
sunnyqld2013
Occasional Contributor

Hey Nellie, Know how you feel my husband has gone through 12 surgery for the same thing, took out from the base of his tongue to the back of his skull, now I week after surgery, & they cant tell if they got it all, just have to wait, I find waiting just kills me now,
0 Kudos
maltanna
New Contributor

Hi my name is caroline and my husband has just started treatment for stage 3/4 nasalparageal Cancer. Hes been receiving radiation treatment now for one week and has 6 weeks to go with 3 weekly intervals of chemo. This remained underdiagnoised for some 18 months with drs saying that he had sinsis and then treating him for clusterhead and migrane. He had 7 different scans done and all were reported to be clear due to errors in interpretation of the scans hoping to talk to someone else that has undergone treatment for the above cancer. Thanks for reading my post. Hes having all his treatment done at RPA in Sydney.
0 Kudos
maltanna
New Contributor

Hi my name is caroline and my husband has just started treatment for stage 3/4 nasalparageal Cancer. Hes been receiving radiation treatment now for one week and has 6 weeks to go with 3 weekly intervals of chemo. This remained underdiagnoised for some 18 months with drs saying that he had sinsis and then treating him for clusterhead and migrane. He had 7 different scans done and all were reported to be clear due to errors in interpretation of the scans hoping to talk to someone else that has undergone treatment for the above cancer. Thanks for reading my post. Hes having all his treatment done at RPA in Sydney.
0 Kudos
maltanna
New Contributor

0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Caroline I don't have the same cancer but I did have a head and neck cancer. Mine also was very late in diagnosis due to doctors not listening to me and blamed it on sinusitis. I had chemo followed by radiotherapy combined with monoclonal therapy. Wishing you both all the very best with treatment etc... Julie
0 Kudos
Bee_73
Occasional Contributor

Hi Caroline I had a different cancer. So sorry to hear they took so long to pick this up, glad they finally did & he is getting treatment. Wishing your husband all the best with treatment. Belinda
0 Kudos
mandyjoy
New Contributor

Hi Caroline, my partner was diagnosed with stage IV Nasopharyngeal Carcinoma in August, also diagnosed late, he is currently into week 6 of 7 weeks chemoradiation,treatment at Peter MacCallum Cancer Centre in Melbourne, nasal gastric tube went in a week ago as he is no longer able to eat but he is doing ok, it's a hard road for both of us, especially with a rare Cancer where not much information is available, I hope you husband is doing ok, my thoughts are with you both xx
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.