Palliative care

vinouche
Contributor

Palliative care

Palliative care is what I have been offered.I went from feeling fine, just a lump in my neck to being told three days later that all they can do for me is make what is left of my life more comfortable and see if they can prolong it a bit. So I feel fine, I look fine, second cycle of chemo was pretty unpleasant but nothing as bad as I have read from some of you lovely people, the outcome is my tumours have shrunk drastically. I still have my hair, some of it is falling out but not that much. I have read about stage 4 lung cancer, the prognosis is very poor, but I am struggling with reconciling my lack of symptoms with the gravity of my situation. No wonder my middle son is in denial, he does not comprehend it when he sees me looking so "normal". I think the morphine patches are hiding most of the pain, I do get some from time to time so just take a tablet. I have to admit I am petrified of what is to come. I know it will get much worse, and I think I would be willing to put up with what some of you are putting up with if there was a chance of cure. I do not want to know how long I do have, but I do want to be prepared for what is to come, what to expect. I would welcome any comments, or insight any of you may have. There does not seem to be many lung cancer sufferers in this forum, and I therefore feel a little lonely. I thank you all for reading.
0 Kudos
23 REPLIES 23
WishingStar
Contributor

Re: Palliative care

Hi vinouche, Sorry, not a lung cancer patient, just wanted to say, glad that you are feeling a little better for now. Although that in it self has brought you a new lot of feelings and emotions to deal with. Stay strong. Nicole
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi vinouche ... i think if you contacted the cancer council help line 13 11 20 they would be able to provide you with the information you are seeking or at least point you in the right direction to get the answers. You are doing well by the sound of things and trying to deal with a lot ... dont do it alone, there are people out there who can and do help us through all of this. Thinking of you. Julie xo
0 Kudos
vinouche
Contributor

Thank you Julie, I haven't managed to bring myself to ring the cancer help line yet. I find it really hard to talk, but easier to type. It is all so scary. Sylvie
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hi Sylvie I can relate to that, the not being able to talk bit. One baby step at a time and as you are ready. Nothing has to be done in one great chunk, so to speak. I think that we often do things when we are able to face them or cope with whatever it is. Writing is a great way to start and i think there is something on this site under another tab (from up the top of the home page) where the cancer council has some links on written material. I will go take a look for you and get back to you. hugss Julie xo
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya sylvie Ok, if you go to the home page on this site. Click on links and then further down you will see different options. There is a link you can click on which takes you to the nsw cancer council place, whereby you can read further. See if that is any help to you and if not get back to me here or email and i will have another look around for you. I know we dont have the same cancer but i think with a cancer diagnosis there are the same if not very similar issues and fears that we all face. On this site everyone is very supportive of one another, so i hope you will find it of some comfort to you. :) Julie xo
0 Kudos
vinouche
Contributor

Thank you again Julie, it is nice to feel I am not alone. I think I need to ask my oncologist more questions, I am just a bit scared of the answers. Sylvie
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Sylvie ... you defnitely are not alone. Do you have someone who can go to the oncologist with you? If you dont want to ask a friend or family member, you might be able to ask the cancer social worker from your hospital to go with you. There is a lot of help and support out there available to us. Sometimes we just dont realise what is available, i know i didnt and have learnt a lot from this site and the people on it. Asking questions is a scary prospect, especially when we know we are not going to like the answers we will get. You will do it all when you are ready and able to deal with it all. Julie
0 Kudos
vinouche
Contributor

Yes I do have friends that go with me, but as you said it is harder when we know/think we won't like the answer.I am seeing oncologist next week before next cycle and have written some questions for him to make sure I do ask them. Knowing me I will either forget the paper or will be too embarassed to ask them. I am more fortunate than most is that I do have support from family and a couple of friends, but they do have a life and I am very conscious not to ask too much of them.
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Just coming in on this Julie and vinouche. Never be embarrassed to ask questions. Your oncologist should make you feel comfortable enough to refer to your notes. I also know how you feel about not wanting to burden your friends. They may surprise you and be grateful that they are able to help you through this.I had a really good couple of friends who were always there and told me that they were glad that I thought so much of them that I asked them for help. One thing cancer does - makes us a little more humble i think. Take care, Samex
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.