Loss of my partner, sole-mate and best friend my wife of 26 years

Michael53
Occasional Contributor

Loss of my partner, sole-mate and best friend my wife of 26 years

I am so lost i miss my wife so much she was my sole-mate, the person i  loved so much, we were supposed to grow old together and do the things you do together, she completed my existence  on this world and now she has gone.i have such a dark hole to climb out off not having her with me, how do i move forward ,i feel i am in a big dark hole riding  overwhelming emotions and feelings. I know she has gone to a better place with no pain anymore but i so miss holding her hand, talking and having her with me. My emotions are so raw i find it hard to think about all  the lovely times we shared together without it upsetting me more.

37 REPLIES 37
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Re: Loss of my partner, sole-mate and best friend my wife of 26 years

Oh Michael. So sorry about the death of your precious wife. The pain of loosing those we love is just unbearable at the start. Hope you have family and friends who you can cry with. You can’t rush through the grief. All I can say is I’m sending you prayers and love. 🙏💕 Linda G

Michael53
Occasional Contributor

Thankyou so much Linda for caring,  having cared for my wife through her battle with cancer, i thought i could prepare myself for the inevitable end but  but the raw grief i am suffering now is by far the hardest part of this whole process as i had to stay strong for her,  I did initially have family members around me but they have now moved back to continue with there lives as they should however do maintain contact.

I take everyday as it comes in great pains emotionally as its hard to plan forward now without my sole-mate, i get swallowed up in the emptiness, that great big black hole that i am trying to climb my way out of as thats what she would have wanted me to do but at the moment its just too much  being alone. As each day rolls into the next i feel as though i am better than the day before and i can see the exit to this big hole and then i am hit with another wave and down i go again. I miss her so. 😢

Bob63
Occasional Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss. Those are the words people tell you trying to help. I also lost my wife, a little over three weeks ago, we were married for 38 years. We had already bought our retirement home in the mountains, (California) and making plans to buy a bigger place to fix up and eventually live in.  A short time after buying the cabin my wife started having all sorts of problems, it took the doctors about two years to figure it out. She had cancer, by the time the cancer was found her diagnosis was “inoperable advanced stage 4 colon cancer” it had already spread to her liver and she had so many tumors they could not count them all. The doctor said maybe 2 years with treatment.  My wife is a stubborn person and lived for 4 years and 8 months before passing away.

I knew it was coming, over the past 4 years I have read a lot about cancer, the treatments, and the outcomes. By watching her test results I knew when the doctor said the chemo is no longer working and she had 4 or 5 months that she was not going to make it that far. She was not ready to give up so we found another doctor who said he could try a different drug, but first he wanted her to be admitted to the hospital so he could get her in better condition so she could handle the drug. Well after seven days in the hospital she passed away, myself and our daughter were with her.

I can honestly say I have never been so divested as to when she died.  I miss her so much more than I ever thought I could, I had been with her every day since we were married. And now coming home to an empty house is just unbearable. I took three weeks off work to try and get myself together, but it didn’t help.

I am sorry I have no answer for you, I came to this website looking for answers myself. I am trying to stay busy, fortunately over the past 4 years our house got neglected so I could take care of my wife, and is in need of repairs. Aside from that my daughter says find more things to do, she is also having a hard time with the loss of her mom.

I turn on the TV and just let it make noise, so the house is not so quite. While I was off work my daughter came over every day, to help do whatever. We are both back at work now and struggling with each day. We each have our own pain, I lost my wife, but she lost her mom. I don’t sleep well or at all sometimes. People ask what they can do to help, I say nothing, what I want to say is bring my wife back. They say time will help, but I have not noticed. I have two cats and a dog whom are also missing her, but don’t understand what happened.

I know how I feel, and if you are anything close to that, we have a long road ahead of us.

Michael53
Occasional Contributor

Bob i am so sorry to hear of your loss, emotions and feelings will be so raw at three weeks as they were for me and with it now over two months they are still raw although i can now see some light at the end of the tunnel albeit without my Tracy , but she will always be there somewhere just like your wife will be, we just have to learn how to live our lives with out  our sole mate, best friend   and loving wife not by our side. What you describe is exactly how i felt and did for a while, i still have a mind numbness, a cloud that follows me around just waiting for me to stop being busy and my thoughts become swallowed up in his cloud and i find myself grieving again but thats alright i tell myself as its my way that i am dealing with  such a great loss.

my grief has shifted now to trying to cope  with or learning to continue on without my beloved Tracy by my side as i know she would want me too, my journey has been hard and i to looked after my wife for over two and a half years until that day came,and my happy world as i new it forever ended.

I am glad you reached out Bob as i found it very comforting in a way to talk to others who have the same or similar exposure to cancer and i hope this will help you through the tough times.

my emotions are like a rollercoaster ride they come they go and the intensity of the emotion varies to and will for some time as every where i go or everything i do it reminds me that my Tracy isnt with me to talk to anymore, i wont hear her voice again, she wont be waiting for me at home, i still find that hard to deal with.

i have her ashes sitting on the front entrance table with a little shrine so i talk to her and that comforts me.

Stay strong Bob and your daughter to, it will get better things just wont seem they ever will as you are still processing your loss and that will be very raw like it was for me.

Reading your response stirred my emotions as writing this response back has also, we all will have our different ways of dealing with the loss and time well time will be as long as you need.

I am sure our animals miss just as we do as our small dog has now a anxiety towards being alone and sticks to me like glue.

Two days after the funeral i needed to remove myself from the home and all the triggers that reminded me of Tracy and travel to some place new and without any history so that i could process it all without the triggers and i found that to be very helpful, yes i did think that i was running away from facing it as it would still be there when i returned to our home but it helped me. I have since done it again to help my journey through the hard times when the grief is to much. I have a lot of supportive family around me to who i can talk to whenever i need to.

Michael 

Jamie62
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael, I lost my wife (49) three weeks ago to stage 4 Colon cancer. Like you I feel lost and unsure of the future. We have a 14yo son who is also trying to come to terms with the loss. We were told that she had approx 2-3 months left on Tuesday 7 June. She died on Thursday 9 June. The shock of the speed of her decline was extremely difficult to reconcile. We have a difficult road ahead. I hope that in sharing your grief that you can get some validation of how you feel.

Take care of yourself.

Bob63
Occasional Contributor

Hi Michael and Jamie

What you both describe is how I feel too. We were told my wife had 4 or 5 months, she passed 28 days later on June 7th.

Monday July 4th was Independence day, my wife’s favorite holiday. There is a small parade in the city I live in, I attempted to go but could see myself standing there by myself and couldn’t do it. Where I work we operate 24/7 so I volunteered to help fill in on second shift to avoid being home during the fireworks displays. I’ll try again next year, I guess. We had planned to be together, and now I just don’t know what to do with myself. I am glad I found this website, it seems to help to write things down. I’ve got a motorcycle I have not ridden since my wife got sick, I am going to get it running and maybe go for a ride, that was always my escape when life got hard, maybe it will help.

You all take care.

Jamie62
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bob

Thanks for sharing your story. It has a similar theme to mine. I don't know about you but one of the real difficulties I have is the speed of the decline. I am sure that interacting with others will give us some help. I don't need to tell you how much pain we collectively feel at the moment. I hope that you are able to be gentle on yourself. I found myself escaping at the movies today (Elvis) but found myself sobbing uncontrollably at the end of the movie.

Hope that you get on that bike of yours soon.

Michael53
Occasional Contributor

Hi Bob, its now been over two months since i lost Tracy and i have only just felt that it was alright for me to get on my spyder and go for a ride but it too caused the memories to re surface but i know she would have wanted me to ride as she knew how much i enjoyed it.  I have just bought some cancer ribbon sticker to place on the bike in honour of her. Its been a hard journey as both you and jamie know, i still think sometimes that it cant be so that she has gone and thats still upsetting for me.

Talking about it to others has been very helpful to me and i am sure it will be the same for you.

keep positive bob

michael

Jamie62
Occasional Contributor

I am sharing my morning writing with you.

Yesterday was the 4 week anniversary. Is that a milestone? 4 weeks that seems like an eternity ago. 4 weeks since you were here with us in your living breathing self. 4 weeks since our lives were transformed into this state of mourning and grief. I went for another bike ride and started the day in a reasonable state of mind. Doctors appointment with Gretel, I found it disconcerting that she didn’t acknowledge your death but maybe that is her coping mechanism. Mum arrived which was comforting for both Eddie and myself. I found myself pleasantly distracted when Eddie and I went to see the new Elvis movie. 2-3 hours of being transported to someplace else. Then at the end of the movie there is a clip of Elvis losing his life. The screen fades to black with a small peep hole of light that gradually dies. Is this how Josie experienced her last moments? Could she hear us telling her it was ok to let go and that we loved her so much? The scene caused me much pain and I left the cinema in tears. Edward again proved how sensitive and caring he can be as he rubbed my back and gave me words of comfort. 

Is every Thursday at 12:12pm going to be a reminder of her death. Am I going to relive that moment in time as I move to class? 

Today is Angus’ birthday and we are meeting him and Scarlett in Fitzroy for lunch. This morning the sofa that Julie and I chose for Josie some 6 weeks ago will arrive. 6 weeks ago we were making decisions about providing a new sofa for Josie to lie on. Today it will arrive to a very empty space. I am sure it will provide me with a bittersweet feeling. 6 weeks , 4 weeks, 3 weeks, anniversaries and milestones everywhere.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.