Cancer Survivor Shout-Out

karinet

Re: Cancer Survivor Shout-Out

Love this idea!

My type of cancer:  stage IV melanoma

My prognosis:  24 months in october 2015

My survival time:  It's been 3.5 years and I am hoping for another 45! 

My word of advice:  live your dreams, live to the fullest, you've got only one life, so take care of your heatlh and make the most out of it! You can achieve anything.

Thank you for helping spreading hope, that was a great idea...

Surviving is not an easy journey, and I made it my life mission to help survivors who are in the clear to embrace their second chance at life xxx

Marcus
Occasional Contributor

I agree great idea
0 Kudos
Pete
New Contributor

My type of cancer: Bowel cancer. I'm honestly not sure about the medical terms, I just had a blockage in my stomach that was blocking food from getting through, and causing mildly-painful stomach cramps, and that was the only symptom I ever had (that my original GP missed, for 11 months. Always remember to get a second opinion if you feel like you want one). I don't even recall what stage it was, I don't remember anybody telling me. But all my other scans were positive.

My prognosis: Quite positive. Like I said, once they found the tumour, they scanned me for others and couldn't find anything anywhere. I healed up well from the surgery, and they hit me with the hard stuff, chemo-wise.

My survival time: It's been 18 months since the surgery. So I guess I'm still making my way through the experience, but all my doctors have been very optimistic. It still worries me, some days, and every time I have a blood test or a CT scan, there's a part of me that gets nervous, and I don't think that will go away anytime soon.

My word of advice: On my second cycle, I needed an additional minor surgery. I was feeling grumpy and irritable about it, and I had the good sense to apologise to one of the attending doctors for not being in a good head space, like, at all. And I still remember, he looked down at me (quite kindly, without any judgement) and said, "It's okay, we get it. Some days, things are just sh*t." Now, forgive the crudity, but I found that was the most profound advice I ever got. Some days, awful things happen for no reason, and you just have to roll with it. Some days, you might be scared or angry or sad. Some days, you might really struggle. Some days, things will be just awful. Those days, the best thing you can do is survive, and try again tomorrow. And, that's okay. 

JJ42
Occasional Contributor

What a fantastic response from the attending doctor! It feels much better when people acknowledge what your reality is rather than offering platitudes. He was right - that day WAS sh*t for you! For him to validate that it was perfectly normal for you to be snarky in the circumstances was the kindest thing he could have said.
kj
Super Contributor

Great Topic Captain 👍
Marcus
Occasional Contributor

Hi. 

I think the worry around ct scans and blood test time is normal 

12 year cancer free and I stopped the whole blood tests thing because I found I was just stressing out about the whole thing. It got to the point that every time my yearly checkup was approaching my wife would be able to tell my yearly checkup is approaching #stress 

Ridgy
Occasional Contributor

Ridgy’s Cancer Survivor Shout-Out

Cancer type: Neuroendocrine Tumour (NETs) of small intestine (locally advanced to 3x lymph nodes).

Prognosis: Unknown (incurable but treatable). Stage  3b/Grade 1 well-differentiated/70% chance of recurrence. 

Survival time: 2.5 years (@2019). Post-surgery on “active surveillance” (annual blood/urine tests and nuclear scans).

Word if advice: It is scary to be told you have a rare cancer (approx. 10,000), but it is slow growing and therefore time to get a 2nd-3rd opinion on whether surgery vs PRRT is the best option. Find a MDT that has dealt with NETs. Join NETs support group around the world to get best advice/ support.

traebo
New Contributor

I usually say this to others, but hearing it be told to you... its different. Definitely teared me up reading it.

Marjorie
Occasional Contributor

Re: Ridgy’s Cancer Survivor Shout-Out

Cancer type: Merkel Cell Tumour. Near elbow.

Was told it is a rare form of cancer, and survival rate not good. Drs insisted I have 5 weeks of Radio Therapy.

2 years later and I am still here and feeling fine. 

Advice: Each journey is different. It changes who you are. It gave me a huge wake up call. I appreciate each day and learning to look after myself (eating better etc). 

Thanks for starting this thread. 

chrishayward
Occasional Contributor

Re: Ridgy’s Cancer Survivor Shout-Out

Hi,
My type of Cancer: Ovarian stage 3c
My Prognosis: Surgery followed by OC diagnosis and stage, then 18 weeks of two types of chemotherapy
My Survival: I am now in my 6th year of no re-ocurrance, or what's is called remission., and am being monitored every 6 mths by my GP.
My Words of Advise: Don't Dr Google. After the initial shock and getting through the chemo, plus a few other surprises along the way, you just have to get your head around it and basically deal with it. You can't change what is there or wonder about the "whaf if's" or "why me", life likes to throw us lot of curve balls, we find the strength to carry on. Listen to your oncology nurses and your oncologist. If something is worring you ASK don't be shy its our body and at times we just need to confirm that what's happening is the norm or something else. I did find crying helps a lot I did most of mine in the shower each morning and a new day begins. Take one day at a time, get out into the day if your able a short walk just sitting in the sunshine can lift your mood and make you appreciate every day. I have also learnt that I need to be kind to myself, you are a different person after all this: I don't have the energy I once had and do what I do in my own time I no longer think I'm Superwoman. Also be aware of friends who know everything about Cancer if some friends upset you tell them so, people have a funny way of thinking they are helping you by telling you everyone they know cancer's journey and then they are no longer with us, you don't need this negativity. Be mindful also of your own mental state if you need to speak to someone other than your family or friends help is there for you again ASK.  Remember everyone's Cancer is different even your own. 

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.