Just Diagnosed Again

PeterK
Contributor

Just Diagnosed Again

Hi just joined this group from WA

I had no Intention or desire to put a lable on “It” then it now but was  diagnosed with esophagael cancer Jan 2012 had radiation and chemo therapy then big op in April 2012 with pull through surgery to cover stomach to upper portion of esophageus. 

I went from 117ks down to 77kgs

Recently diagnosed wth metastatic esophagael andenocarcinoma, on steriods for the pain + +

I’m told as the cancer has spread to my shoulder it’s metastatic stage 4. 

Looking at chemo this next week and meeting with radiologist  for consultation. 

Remaining positive, strong and determined however  the treatment is described as palliative is not that encouraging to me, but he’ll im a fighter.

If my  experiences, thoughts, fears and my emotions of my journey  in 2012 since my op can be of help or support to any one  I’m here in any way. As I am a firm believer that giving back is better.

Peter

9 REPLIES 9
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Re: Just Diagnosed Again

Hi Peter,

Welcome! I too am a firm believer in choosing the right attitude and paying it forward.

Continue to choose to be positive, strong and determined. And any insights you can give from your journey will always be welcomed. Just troll around this site looking for posts that you think you can help out with.

Best wishes and a big hug to you,
Rick
PeterK
Contributor

Hi Rick
“Many Thanks” strange my wife’s name is Ricki !! Yes always positive & determined and my star sign is the Bull, bring it on and all the very best for the future 🆗
sch
Super Contributor

Hi PeterK,

Just to add to what Rick has already said, there is a getting started guide on helping otheres over here;

https://onlinecommunity.cancercouncil.com.au/t5/New-Start-here/Get-started-on-helping-others/m-p/298...

Many off us here having lived through it, want to share our experiences with others with a view of "if what we share or advice we can give, in any way, makes a difference to some body else no matter how small, then that can only be a good thing".

-sch

PeterK
Contributor

Hi Sch
Tvm for the heads up always useful just fine some web group pages easier to follow than others
All The very best in you travels
Kind Regards Peter
PhilPepper
Regular Contributor

Hi Peter

Funny, Peter is my son's and my father's name 😉

I'm sorry to hear about your diagnosis. I'm nearly 8 weeks post surgery and into my chemo treatment. Looking forward to a fresh start and clean bill of health for 2020. 

Your story is a reminder though, once a cancer patient, always a cancer patient. I'll be having annual colonoscopies (yes I meant to say annual) to keep an eye on things. Surgery took away my cancer but my DNA is still prone to bowel cancer. And the chemo I'm going through now is not a guaranteed solution. It may still spread.

I've just posted a very long post on another thread (not sleeping well), pointing out things I've learnt on my journey. One point being that cancer may still get me in the end, but in my mind I've already beaten cancer. It's changed my perspective on life for the better and it can never take that away from me now.

Stay positive. I probably don't have to tell you, but chemo sucks balls. So does surgery. I can't comment on radiation, but I've heard nasty stories. Stay strong and don't let it beat you.

Cheers

Phil

Lampwork54
Regular Contributor

Hi Peter.

Not much I can say but that I'm sorry this has happened to you.  I'm glad you're a hell of a fighter because this is going to be a big battle for you.   I saw an inspiring documentary called the C word which I'd recommend.  You need things to give you hope and help right now.  Can't remember the name of the documentary on cannabis but it was very interesting and I knew it's a path I would look into more down the line if necessary.  At the moment am getting through Radiotherapy - 8 treatments left out of 30.  So far so good.  

I wish you well on your journey and always happy to discuss anything you want to.  I guess we all are here for that purpose.  

0 Kudos
Timhen1
Occasional Visitor

Have a strong outlook on this and try to keep positive. I have a great team in the cancer clinic here in Saskatoon Canada and a fantastic family that all support me. I also have esophageal cancer that was diagnosed on my birthday this year and it is a stage 4. Fight buddy

0 Kudos
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Hey @PeterK ,

Haven't heard from you for a while. How are you travelling? Is the pain++ under control?

I hope that you still have that 'fighting' spirit and that it is working for you.

And remember that helping others can be a good self-therapy if you are ever feeling a bit low.

Warm regards,

Rick

0 Kudos
PeterK
Contributor

Hi Rick

So nice to hear from you “Thank You” for your thoughts and wishes.

Im down in Perth for my last round (of a week) of chemo, then that’s me finished yehar.

It’s been  a journey at times but it is what it is, still positive still focused still loving life so can’t complain.

Struggling to put on weight but stabilised at around 72kgs so doing ok

I wish you well in your journey keep kicking goals ok

Kind Regards & Best Wishes for today and every day & Rick Blessings Peter 😜😜😜

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.