Just diagnosed with appendix cancer

cashfive
Occasional Visitor

Just diagnosed with appendix cancer

I was just diagnosed with appendix cancer after a bout with appendicitis last week. I had scans and now see the doctor on Monday to find out my next step. Has anyone had any experience with appendix cancer? I am terrified of what is next. 

15 REPLIES 15
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Just diagnosed with appendix cancer

Hi cashfive,

I'm sorry to hear that you've been diagnosed with cancer.

I'm sure there is someone around here who has had cancer of the appendix before.

Try not to stress too much until you know more. It could be needless.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe you've seen your doctor today.

How did you go?

-s

0 Kudos
Kathrynb
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

A few weeks ago, I was also diagnosed with appendix cancer after having an appendicectomy due to appendicitis.

I’d love to know how you are doing and what your treatment plan was.

Wishing you all the best.

Melanie90
Occasional Contributor

I’m waiting for a official diagnosis for appendix cancer, went in for diagnostic / staging surgery Tuesday just gone I am absolutely freaking out about it! I’m here to chat anytime you need 

0 Kudos
Melanie90
Occasional Contributor

I’m currently waiting for official diagnosis for appendix cancer, I had diagnostic / staging surgery on Tuesday just gone, my oncologist is 99% sure it’s cancer of the appendix as I have excessive mucin throughout my abdomen which is becoming very uncomfortable, I am just blown away as I cancer never ever crossed my mind. Would love to hear back from you if your up for a chat

Kathrynb
Occasional Contributor

Hi Melanie,

I’m so sorry to hear about your diagnosis.

I’m two and a half weeks out from my surgery to remove the cancer. I had a number of organs removed and HIPEC, which is a heated chemotherapy poured into the abdomen. Being young, I’m thankfully recovering quite well and only spent two weeks in hospital. When I was first diagnosed I joined some Appendix cancer groups on Facebook, which provided a great opportunity to connect with people in the same situation and learn everything there is to know about this cancer.

The groups I find really helpful are:

- PMP Appendix Cancer Support Group (worldwide)

- Australia & New Zealand PMP cancer patients

I’m happy to try and answer any of your questions. Sending you lots of love and luck.

Kat

0 Kudos
Melanie90
Occasional Contributor

Hi Kat

thanks for writing back to me, I’m so glad to hear you are recovering well (sorry you had to go through it in the first place)  my oncologist said that surgery might be a option for me if my biopsy results come back as pmp, I looked it up online the surgery sounds terrifying! And so painful, I don’t handle pain well 😬 lol I do have a few questions if you don’t mind answering them, Do you have to have more chemotherapy after your surgery? What stage were you? What hospital did you have your surgery? If I’m going down that road I will be having the surgery at RPA in Sydney. How old are you? I’m 31 sorry for all the questions 

0 Kudos
Kathrynb
Occasional Contributor

Believe it or not, I haven’t experienced much pain from the surgery, just a lot of discomfort. You’ll be on very strong pain killers whilst in hospital, and they won’t take you off them until you are ready. My doctors have given me Panadol to take after leaving hospital, but I haven’t had any. My biggest struggle now is just coping with a weird tightness in my stomach (I imagine this will improve over time), sleeping on my back and dealing with menopause because of the removal of both ovaries.

I’m the same age as you - 31. I’ve been told that I’ll have 3-6 months of chemo, starting soon. My cancer was stage 4. I travelled from Melbourne to Sydney to have surgery with Professor David Morris at St George Hospital. He’s one of the best in the world when it comes to appendix cancer.

I’d love to stay in touch and be kept updated on your journey. Feel free to keep asking questions because I’m so happy to help!

0 Kudos
Melanie90
Occasional Contributor

Wow that’s great that you haven’t had much pain, I hope I recover as well as you. Are you still in Sydney or were you able to go back home to Melbourne? Are you able to receive the rest of your treatment in Melbourne? I would love to stay in touch, I’m happy for you to add me on fb if you’d like if there is a way I can pm you my full name, it’s been nice chatting with you I hope you have a great Easter 🐣 

0 Kudos
Melanie90
Occasional Contributor

Did you have any cost to you seeing Dr Morris?

0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.