Please help

Colin81
Contributor

Re: Please help

Hi Ma-Le,

No, I only have the infusion. Despite all of the cancers I have had I only take 1 drug (Valaciclovir, 1 tab a day as a preventative measure) a drug for fighting bacterial infections, I had chronic Neutropenia several times and for several years (from the chemotherapy), which basically means that your immune system is not working, now that I am back to 'normal' believe it or not it is the only tablet I take regarding all of my cancers and cancer treatment.

The bone density was something not even on my radar when Doc requested a test (apparently routine for BMT) so I just added it to the list of tests I have done and medical issues. Talk to your Doc he/she will advise you for what is right for you.

Colin81
Contributor

Hi sch,

I can't recall how many CT scans or x-rays I have had but its been lot. I do recall one of my oncologists referring to something like 'whole of life dosage' of radiation but at the time they needed the scans so we did them and I have had plenty since plus x-rays and a lot of other stuff I can't remember. Even had total body radiation prior to the BMT. I have never had a full body CT most of mine was pretty much neck to pelvis (which is close) and I think you are correct in saying too much is not a good thing but if its the only way they can 'see' into you they need it.

sch
Super Contributor

Hi Coline81,

If it's justified and required (for example, if a doctor or surgeon suspects there is something there that they are looking for), you might be right and maybe they could go ahead and do just that. But Ma-le's question was specifically around routine scans.

I've had a quite a few family members with bowel cancer and I'm not aware of any of them having full body CT scans.

https://www.epa.nsw.gov.au/your-environment/radiation/protection-information/ct-body-scans

There are significant risks that outweigh the benefits associated with the whole body scanning of otherwise healthy people. After considering the available information, the Authority and the Radiation Advisory Council (an expert body established to advise the Authority) are of the view that the procedure is inappropriate for general diagnosis of healthy individuals. The Authority is taking strong steps to ensure that people who choose to go ahead with a whole body scan are made fully aware of the risks involved.

-sch

0 Kudos
Colin81
Contributor

Hi sch,

That's a great website, very informative but don't get me wrong I would never advocate having routine scans especially if you are a healthy person, they can be dangerous, I hope that exposure to radiation by Dr's wanting scans is justified and used minimally which I believe to be true in the hopefully the majority of cases.

In my case I was very ill for many years with some very significant complications, I knew the risks but took them (signed off by me) in the hope that I would receive a better outcome, so far I have but I am well aware of the consequences and in fact unfortunately still 'waiting' for them, those thoughts never leave me.

I would never of had so many and so many different tests unless my DR's (and I) thought they would help, I don't want to do any more tests or take any medications but what I want and what is required don't seem to lineup. I actually find my (now seldom) visits to hospitals very difficult to deal with (the smells, noises, the sick people) the whole process left me traumatised (the foundation of my PTSD) I don't regret it, it was what it was without all of that 'stuff' I would have passed away quite a few years ago (and more than once if such a thing was possible).

I always thought that I was a 'well informed' patient I usually researched all of the drugs, procedures and even the types of machines they used. I always (when able to) quizzed them (medical & nursing) staff as to what and why they were giving it to me, one episode involved insulin, which I did not take ( I am not diabetic) .

After each hospital visit I visited my GP and discussed as many aspects that I could remember to ensure that I knew as best as possible what was recommended.

Colin81

0 Kudos
RJG
Frequent Contributor

Hi all,

As far as exposure to high intensity electromagnetic radiation is concerned, less is more.

I believe that there are only a few types of cancer that metastasise in limbs. Consequently, a full body scan would only be recommended for those candidate types.

However, for my gastro-oesophageal cancer, I did ask for the initial scan to include my head because a brother of mine had developed lesions on his brain while dealing (unsuccessfully) with his oesophageal cancer.

Hugs to all,

Rick

0 Kudos
sch
Super Contributor

Hi Ma-le,

I hope you are doing OK.

Did you end up having the CT scan?

I hope it all went well.

-sch

Ma-le
Occasional Contributor

The ultrasound sound shows it's not suspicious. A fatty hilum under 4mm. My bloods shows abnormalities in my liver so having an ultrasound on Wednesday to be safe. I'll see my oncologist on Thursday to go over everything. Feeling relieved

Thanks everyone for their support 

RJG
Frequent Contributor

Great to hear. As is often the case, not as serious as you thought it might be. But best to get things checked sooner than later to avoid the worry over "nothing", or catch it early if it is "something".
No worries - we are here for each other no matter how big or small the need.
Hugs,
Rick

Ma-le
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Rick
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.