New Member Introduction

David_M
New Contributor

New Member Introduction

I am new here and wanted to say hello.  I am 18 months into my cancer adventure and now that my medical appointments have slowed down and become manageable and my treatment cycle I am able to cope with, I find that my overactive mind and emotions are starting to present themselves.

I am here for peace of mind to know that I am not alone and to engage with others going through the same thing.   Please reach and and say Hi!

5 REPLIES 5
sch
Super Contributor

Re: New Member Introduction

Hi@David_M ,

Sorry to hear about your cancer.

How are you going with treatment now?

What treatment did you have?

-s

David_M
New Contributor

Hi @sch
Thank you for your comment.
Immune therapy treatments are going well. My treatment cycle is every three weeks continually for two years. I have 14 months to go.
The first tumour was removed in my right axilla along with my lymph nodes followed by radiation. A second tumour then appeared a few months later which was pressing on my nerve bundle running into the arm, this could not be surgically removed. Sadly I have major nerve damage to my arm and hand which gives me all sorts of problems with pain but also day to day living.
But looking forward, things are very positive!

JJ42
Occasional Contributor

Hi David, many people start to feel the emotional and psychological impact of their cancer diagnosis once they are through active treatment, or have found a way to accept that ongoing treatment will be part of their lives for some time to come.  This is when it can be very helpful to join a support group. I had a complete melt-down after my cancer treatment finished and was only able to recover some feeling of equilibrium when I joined a support group recommended by my oncologist and a liaison psychiatrist attached to the hospital oncology department. I truly believe that this saved my life as I had been unable to believe that I would eventually recover, despite a good prognosis. I feared that I was actually 'pointing the bone' at myself. If you're interested in finding out about the group that was so helpful for me, you can check it out here: www.lifeforce.org.au. (I hope I'm allowed to post this link?) Life Force is a small charity that has been running successful weekly support groups for almost 30 years. The Foundation's Patrons are Gabi Hollows and Professor Michael Friedlander, an eminent oncologist based at Prince of Wales Hospital in Sydney. The groups have been running online ever since Covid hit, so people can Zoom in from anywhere. In my experience there is nothing as beneficial as being able to talk about your situation with others who truly get what it's like to be a cancer patient/survivor.

Newtocancer
Occasional Contributor

Hello David,

Firstly you are not alone!  Many of us here are going through the same as you. So yes mate, we get it!

Next is if you feel the need to reach out to someone, please do so. And I mean PLEASE DO SO. For my own part I have been very well served by my local priest in this regard.

Prayer and or meditation can be of tremendous help to a racing mind. Just remember that it will take time.

If you would like me to pray for you please let me know and I will put you on my daily prayer list 

God Bless

New

Peregrina
Contributor

Hello David_M,  great to hear from you and go you for reaching out for support ! I am 17 months into my cancer journey with all my most recent surveillance tests very encouraging. The dream of returning to Spain to walk The Camino De Santiago again has kept me breathing throughout the most difficult and challenging time of my life. I am now strong and have touched the void….can look back a bit and feel my resilience and courage. So, am preparing to walk the pilgrimage again and now up to 16 kms a day…conquering my fears and doubts. Am dedicating this pilgrimage to all the Earth Angels who get us through this ordeal with their grace, love & expertise. Stay strong….feel your courage. My thoughts are with you. Ultreya….onwards with courage 🙏💖

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.