Struggling so much

Lisa170
Occasional Contributor

Struggling so much

I'm 37 years old diagnosed with bowel cancer late July. Had a resection a month ago which went well. Started oxaliplatin followed by capecitabine last Thursday. I just cannot manage my side effects. I haven't stopped feeling sick. I'm just ready to chuck the whole lot.

0 Kudos
7 REPLIES 7
kj
Super Contributor

Re: Struggling so much

Hopefully your side effects settle,have you asked for different nausea meds,also enquire if  the strength of chemo can be dropped a touch .Hang in there.

Lisa170
Occasional Contributor

I'm going to try and track down the oncologist tomorrow about dropping dosages. Its just so hard when there is nobody who can help because it's Sunday.
kj
Super Contributor

Everyone responds differently to Chemo.Being yes Sunday makes it more difficult,.fingers crossed for tomorrow
JohnDenning59
Contributor

Hello Lisa, yes, those side effects are bad, I know.  I don't know if this goes for chemo's generally, but I find that the first four days are the worst, (especially the fourth) and after that they leave. Mine gives me a loss of taste and I hate the smell that sweats out of my pores, but again, it only seems to last about four days.

There is one positive, though. It keeps the mosquitoes away!

It sounds like you're going well, otherwise. Hang in there, friend.

JD

sch
Super Contributor

Hi Lisa170,

I'm sorry to hear about your chemo and the effects that it's having on your life.

As KJ was saying, your doctor can prescribe different medication and anti-nausea medication. And yes, they can also reduce the chemotherapy doses that you are receiving.

Yes, talking to your doctor/oncologist about the side effects and the effects that it is having on you, I think is really important.

I was diagnosed with bowel cancer when I was just a couple of years old than you. I've been down this path.

Good luck and let me know how you go please.

-sch

Wegotthis
Frequent Contributor

Lisa

Thanks for sharing this with us. 

I can't give you any advice because I haven't been through treatment nor do I know if I will need to. 

I just found out that I do have cancer but not any where bad as yours. But you have helped me with getting ready for what may happen if I do have to go through treatment .

Please continue to share your experiences with us. I believe there are way more people reading to learn what others are going through than those who reply...

Thanks for helping me 🌹

0 Kudos
LindaG
Regular Contributor

Hi Lisa, hope you’ve had some success with your oncologist today and some help for your symptoms. I know when I first started the chemo the effects were extremely bad so the dosage was adjusted, meds given to help with side effects , and it really made it much easier to bear. 💕 Linda G

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.