Anti-depressants

samex
Regular Contributor

Re: Anti-depressants

Hi. So far so good after three weeks. I felt a bit yucky for the first 3 days but have been pretty settled lately. The big test will be going back to school next week and dealing with the constant deadlines and stress of that as well as keeping the family afloat. We'll see. Again, thankyou all for your input and support. My depression is a bit of a "no-no" topic at home and I don't want to worry my elderly parents, so it helps to be able to discuss some of the difficulties here. Samex
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hiya S I have had to put strategies into place lately. The teen is doing far more around the house than ever before. Am doing this because i am trying to get back to work and i know i will not be able to do things like i used to. Crack the whip! haha Just kidding! You do need to be kind to you though. 🙂 Good luck with everything and just keep talking to you doc and get everything sorted for yourself. Julie xo
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi Samex, Im glad your getting help. I've been on anti depressants for 2.5 years now. It got really bad about 3 months ago when it went suicidal, i prob wouldnt be here now if i hadnt got caught several times. I also go to counselling and have been monitered by the local mental health team, and have been for about 6 months now and i find it really useful, it helps alot. I was also worried about the stigma attached to a mental illness but it just doesnt bother me now, Im just trying to get my life back on track. Things went really bad for a while for me and my family copped the brunt of it all {my hubby and 7 kids} Im so gratefull about all the help and support i have recieved. Put your trust in the ones closest to you and if you need help ask for it. Im so proud that you have the courage to ask your doctor for help! hope you are feeling better xox
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Hi Samex Hope that you have managed the few days of school well and that the anti-d's have helped. I can recommend them. At the time I was first diagnosed with cancer I had quite a few other things happening as well and my GP put me on a low dose of anti-depressants for a while. For a while things got really heavy and I was having panic attacks so I used to carry round pills to take when I had a panic attack. It coincided with some of the heavy therapy I was having, plus a few other family issues. I didn't need them for long but they sure helped. Cheers Sailor And when men lose confidence and trust in those who lead, order disintegrates into chaos and purposeful ships into uncontrollable derelicts. Wall Street Journal Editorial 1952
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

I found it both comforting nd frightening that so many of us have gone down this path. Again we come back to the collateral damage of cancer. Sailor, the days leading up to going back to school were atrocious but I think it was merely the anticipation of being overwhelmed by work rather than the execution. I have definitely hit the ground running but so far so good. (It is only week one!) Again, thnaks for everyone'e support. No tears for 3 weeks!! S
0 Kudos
carolyn2
Contributor

hi im carolyn and im on endep also i see a psychologist i have mild depression its there if i need it
0 Kudos
CarlC
Occasional Contributor

Hi All, It really is comforting to see all this as I am through chemo, radio and a number of ops for throat cancer. I have a really hard time getting any sort of activity going. I hate my life. I am seeing a psych and my GP. Both have agreed that anti depressants would help. I was a bit reluctant at first but I cannot function like I am. I am so emotional, think that no-one cares and I hate looking at myself.
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Carl You have been through a lot of heavy treatment and its tough to get through head and neck treatment. It is hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel at times. How long ago did you finish treatment? Did you have cisplatin first and then radiotherapy? Julie
0 Kudos
carolyn2
Contributor

hi im still on anti depressants because dr was away
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.