Hair loss with radiation

angieh
Contributor

Hair loss with radiation

Hello, I am now almost 8 weeks since I finished treatment. I had chemo x 3 (Cisplatin) plus 35 radiation. It was all targeted at my lower jaw (soft palate, tongue, tonsil etc).

My hair along the base of my skull and up a fair way of my skull all fell out and is still completely bare. Additionally I am still losing alarming amount of hair in the other areas on my head. It is becoming thinner by the day and I am getting seriously concerned.

Can anyone else who had similar treatment please tell me if their hair did grow back after radiation? How long did it take to start re-appearing?  Any suggestions re assisting hair growth? Tips? Anything at all will be helpful.

Many thanks,

Angela

8 REPLIES 8
sch
Super Contributor

Re: Hair loss with radiation

I haven't had this treatment, but I just wanted to wish you luck in growing your hair back, and your health in general.

All the best.

-s

Budgie
Super Contributor

Hi angieh,

I had radiation to my parotid gland area on the left side & like you, my hair fell out. It came back tho. It takes a while, a few months, but your hair should grow back. Don't stress about it as stress can be very counter-productive. 🙂

Budgie
0 Kudos
angieh
Contributor

Thank you for reply. I shall stay calm and hope for the best.

0 Kudos
TonySkala
Occasional Contributor

Dont worry too much about your hair. It is cosmetic and if you come out of the other side of this.....Who cares about your hair. It may grow back it might not. You can get a new rocking wig every week. Purple, Red, Brown Black, blond what ever. The important thing is to come out the other end. The hair is quite literally the least important thing in this situation. There are 100 people on this blog that would apply go bald if it meant hey can get rid of this terrible cancer. Focus on that. The hair is the least important and the easiest thing to solve. 

0 Kudos
angieh
Contributor

Hi Tony,

I think about my hair loss because it distracts me from thinking about the really big problem of whether or not my treatment has actually worked. I have a PET scan in July and that should reveal the truth.

But regardless of that I am going to hairdresser today to get what remains cut short.  I work in corporate role and have to look at least tidy and professional.

thank you

Angela

Antan
Contributor

Hair to me is a personal thing. Everything matters. A friend of mine had radiation and lost her straight dark long hair in bits. She cut it short. Because it was patchy she wore hats and short wigs which she found fun. Her hair grew back wavy and thick she loves her new look. 

I hope that your hair grows back beautifully. In the meantime don't worry, just see it as a transitional period.

angieh
Contributor

Thank you for your kind words.  I am still losing a LOT of hair each day (possibly made worse by my under-active thyroid). However in the last week I am seeing signs of new hair growth coming through at last. I know it is just hair but it is still very nice to see it coming back!

thank you

Angela

0 Kudos
Antan
Contributor

So good to hear that you are getting hair growth back, I really hope that you are feeling happier and that your hair grows back beautifully. I have also found that not washing my hair too often helps the natural oils to condition the hair and scalp better than frequently washing and conditioning. It takes about a few weeks of doing this to attain shiny silky locks and a healthier scalp. Initially it feels a bit grotty but the end result is worth it.

Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.