I have been taken off chemo

CATS
Contributor

I have been taken off chemo

I have been taken of my 3 types of chemo and I have not felt this healthy and happy for 11 months. I was taken off xeloda originally due to hand-foot syndrome - especially my feet - very sore and chronic (my words) diarrhea. My tumour markers dropped drastically and everyone was happy! THEN the dreaded scan showed up a few things that couldn't be explained - so off chemo, another scan in about 3 weeks then my fate is in the hands of my oncologists mmmm. My hair is also starting to grow back - very different - I am a natural red head but the fur on my head is dark- odd! I am throwing myself into serious gardening as I want my new garden to be beautiful - lot of work as it was quite neglected when I moved in to my new home. My dog and I are going for marathon (well!!) almost, walks to explore our new surroundings and to try an find dog free areas - he is a bit of a barker and depending on his mood, can be a little fractious!, Most of the dogs around here seem to be very well behaved. As my sister says "a better class of dog in this area" I tend to agree- BUT- dogs are born to bark and jump and wag their tails - let us be dogs says mine with big happy woofs! Anyway I want to get as much of the physical stuff done as possible as I really do not know what my future plans are re treatment or not. In the meantime I am just going to enjoy feeling good.
0 Kudos
6 REPLIES 6
margc
Occasional Contributor

Re: I have been taken off chemo

HI CATS, GLAD TO HEAR YOUR OFF THAT DREADED CHEMO WITH ALL ITS NASTY SIDE EFFECTS, HOPE YOUR MOTHERS DAY WENT WELL, I HAD LOTS OF GIFTS AND CARDS, ONE VERY SPECIAL CARD FROM MY CATS! THANKING ME FOR ALL THEIR CUDDLES AND LAP TIME, THINK I SHOULD BE THANKING THEM THEY ARE GREAT COMPANY AND ASK NOTHING IN RETURN, AND THEY ARE NONJUDGEMENTAL WHAT MORE CAN WE ASK FOR. TAKE CARE HOPE ALL IS WELL WITH YOUR JOURNEY. LOVE MARGC
0 Kudos
CATS
Contributor

Hi Margc - yes I'm glad I'm off chemo and vile disgusting side effects - especially hose horrid steroids - I think they are worse side effect wise than the chemo. Anyway I may be back on it in few weeks- lovely!!!!! I'm glad you had a lovely Mothers Day - not being or having a mum, I enjoyed my day with my darling cat and dog and according to my sister 'they gave her $1.50 to buy me a chocolate'!!!. Yes she is getting as crazy as me - no not true - she knows I am crazy so she kindly goes along with it!!!!!!!. Obviously someone in your family does the same - the card!! Good fun isn't it. Anyway I hope you are well - until next time bye meeow
0 Kudos
jules_jp
Contributor

Hi Cats, Sorry to hear your story - all I can say is to enjoy your "time off". Your natural hair colour will grow back - it takes time. You will notice that the dark / grey fluff that is currently there may also fall out when your new hair grows back. You can use some safe colour like henna. Hope you stay well and strong.
0 Kudos
deejjay
Contributor

Yes I agree do enjoy your time off and do lots of fun things. My hair is also growing back after chemo, grey but not sure if this will change but I've brought some semi permanent hair dyes and have put one in to make it brown. Anyhow hopefully when you need to go back on chemo they'll be able to find one more compatable and with less side effects.
0 Kudos
robbieb
Not applicable

has anyone cancelled chemo

Just wondering if anyone has stopped their chemo. I had Mastectomy earlier this year, then month ago axillary clearance. The surgeries and recoveries were easy. I just had my second chemo last week, and finally after seven days I am feeling human again. I can't go on with this chemo bit, I hope I can cancel it. I look forward to hearing other's views on it. I didn't want to have it in the first place, mainly for family and friends sakes. The first chemo was awful, so the second they reduced dexa and other side effect drugs, but it was worse. Now the hair is coming out fast. take care all. robbieb
0 Kudos
Not applicable

Hi robbieb My partner did 3/18 rounds and decided to stop. No matter what happens in future we both think that was the right choice. She is a different person now and feeling much better.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.