Private Hospital V's Public Hospital

elangley
Not applicable

Private Hospital V's Public Hospital

Hi, would like to know if anyone knows the difference between treatment at the Private Prince of Wales and Public Prince of wales hospital is for for Xelox for Colon Cancer. Have contacted hospitals with little success. p.s covered by a private health fund. Hoping someone can give some advice. ta
0 Kudos
9 REPLIES 9
zelfren
New Contributor

Re: Private Hospital V's Public Hospital

Not familiar with specific hospitals, but can advise my experience in diagnosis and treatment for Oesophagus cancer stage iv. Week public in-patient at Monash to find cause for persistant shortness of breath. Coronary & respiratory checked, discharged 31/5 to have CT scan 5/6, with results to Monash and G.P. Monash Public . letter recvd late July re follow up & diagnosis, to attend Clinic 22nd August. i.e. this week wld await PET + Biopsy + further appts., so unlikely to have any treatment till Oct/Nov. at least. That's a long wait for Stage iv cancer. Private 10/6 G.P. appt. 13/6 ref. to Oncologist PET scan endoscopy biopsy etc 8/7 diagnosis from Oncologist 22/7 commenced treatment (comb. chemo 5days+ radiation 14days) 16/8 finished rad., 2 more chemo to go. Conclusion - Private much faster action. Public very long wait.
0 Kudos
The_Rowan
Contributor

In addition to Zelfren's comments; Public patient- shared room, medical students prodding and poking you if you are an interesting case (all hour of the day). Nursing staff have more patients to look after. Private patient - able to have a room to yourself. No medical students. Better nurse to patient ratio. Better meals. I hope this helps. The Rowan
0 Kudos
SILLY
Super Contributor

I agree that private is quicker ,hardly any waiting . I have always gone privately but didn't get a private room because one wasn't available for my surgery . This was in a private hospital on the Gold Coast . The other difference is that you always have your own doctor . Another difference is public doesn't usually ,if at all,leave you with out of pocket expense . I always end up paying for so much more by going private .Most of my surgeries have been day surgery .
0 Kudos
kasianne
Contributor

I read the stories here regards public verses private and feel that a lot depends on where you live. I was diagnosed with esophageal cancer stage iv in August 2011 and i struggled to get a diagnosis through the public health GP's but once I went to a private GP I had an endoscopy the following day which I paid for and the diagnosis was confirmed 5 days later through biopsies. I was referred to the public health system and got an appointment the same day. Everything progressed very rapidly from there including flights to Brisbane from Townsville for a PET scan and surgery to remove a suspect ovary and insert a J-peg tube to feed me. I was operated on and pronounced cancer free in December 2011 after 3 rounds of chemo until the November. I think the public health system responds to the urgency of an individuals situation. By the time I was diagnosed I was very malnourished and dehydrated so it was deemed fairly urgent to act and now two years from diagnosis and a few more procedures of which I have never had to wait more than a few weeks I would say the public health system here is excellent.
0 Kudos
kj
Super Contributor

During my period with illness and different surgeries I agree with kasianne you are admitted on the urgency of the illness in the Public system. My surgeries have all been in the public system and I have no complaints about there treatment and compassion from the nursing staff.I am always confident in there ability to help me,with out there skill and knowledge I would not be replying here,but you also read of people who are unhappy with Public,and Private,it is good you have a choice when you have health insurance. kj
0 Kudos
gn21
Occasional Contributor

I am treated at Peter Mac as a private patient. I understand that the difference is that this way they get reimbursed by my health insurer. If I went as a public patient they would get no reimbursement. And to Peter Mac every $ cou TS, as it should. Gail
0 Kudos
Jude07
New Contributor

Hi I'm in northern nsw and I was diagnosed with cancerous tumour on the 13 th August 2013 , after a barrage of tests and scans I had surgery on the 5 th Sept , I had a urologist surgeon , I went as a public patient and can't fault the public system at all. The care and post op care was fantastic . I could of gone private and pay as I go system as I have no cover but even the surgeon said it wasn't worth it as I would be out of pocket thousands do dollars. Going public cost me nothing Good luck
0 Kudos
Sailor
Deceased

Hi there In the past fifteen years since I was diagnosed with cancer I have been treated in large public, large private, private attached to large public and small private. My current chemo is in a large private, and my clinical trial chemo earlier this year was in a large public. I have just spent considerable time over the last three months in a private attached to a large public and was shuttled back and forth between the two systems for various procedures, tests and surgery. The present large public offers me all the same supportive care and ancillary services as the large public earlier this year. My worst experience has been in the small public, where following surgery I had a three way bladder washout catheter in place and they flushed me with fluid taken straight from the 5 degree refrigerator where they stored it!! When I complained there response was "Who did I want sacked!" The best of both worlds is to be the private patient in the public hospital. Cheers Sailor A journey by Sea and Land, Five Hundred Miles, is not undertaken without money. Lewis Hallam
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

I have only ever been a public patient but I have always received a private room - largely I guess due to the fact they thought I was going to die. I have never experienced delays, although, once again both my cancers were rather urgent in nature once they were discovered and probably fair to say that both had not a great prognosis intially attached to either cancer. 25 years later for my first cancer and going on 5 years for the 2nd cancer. For my first cancer I also had a young baby at the time and I am sure that was part of why they gave me a private room. I was able to keep my son with me and actively encouraged to do so, prior to my surgery.
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.