We're already aware of it, but CHEMO SUCKS!!

bleh
Contributor

We're already aware of it, but CHEMO SUCKS!!

Hi everyone, (I would say Good Morning, but that would be a complete lie as my morning has been hell!) So I had my 4th (or is it 3rd?) Chemo treatment today, but because the lump that was removed from my breast turned out to be cancerous and has the HER2 mutation they have thrown 2 more drugs into the mix. So now I'm having Carboplatin, Taxol, Doxorubicin and Herceptin. My normal Oncologist was not there this week, so I had some fill-in guy who seemed nervous and made me uncomfortable about asking questions etc. At least my usual Chemo nurse Maureen was there, which almost made things a little easier. Oh, and now that I have breast cancer also, I get the Breast Cancer goodie bag full of all pink things - how wonderful. Why Breast Cancer gets all the good stuff while Uterine Cancer goes basically unrecognised I do not know. Anyway, is there anyone else out there with either Uterine or Breast or both who have received this cocktail of drugs before? Because honestly, it was incredibly brutal and I really don't want to have to go back next week. Plus, I have what I like to call 'Chemo Brain'. I can't remember if I've done things, or told people certain things, or if whatever I'm saying makes any sense. it sucks. Seriously, I'm 28 - I know that cancer has no age limit, but seriously now - I'd kind of like a break! I'm so so so so so sorry for the 'why me' rant, but I'm having a bad day, and at least I know that you guys will understand. So now I will return to laying down and throwing up. Thank's for listening and all the best to all of you! Lots of love hugs and kisses, Joanna xoxo
0 Kudos
30 REPLIES 30
Jules2
Super Contributor

Re: We're already aware of it, but CHEMO SUCKS!!

Hey Joanna Hang in there!! Have you spoken to your onco bloke re the throwing up part? Hopefully you are feeling a bit better this arvo after a rest. hugssss Julie xo
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

Hi Joeyanna, This is the place to rant particularly when you are feeling so awful. There is no problem with "why me" here at all. Chemo brain really does suck as not only do you feel physically bad but you can't think as well. Have you been given any anti-nausea drugs? I had bowel cancer (so no pink goodie bag either)so had different chemo drugs but I was given a plethora of anti-nausea drugs to deal with those side effects. Take it easy and rememebr that ranting here is almost compulsory at times! Samex
0 Kudos
Traveller_In_Wa
Occasional Contributor

Hey Joanna, I do hope your feeling better, there's nothing worse than the constant nausea and sickness that goes with chemo, as if it's not crappy enough being pumped full of junk for so many hours...! But I'm with everyone else, have you asked about anti-nausea drugs? I myself had a terrible time frist chemo, I last about 4 hours after the first one, before being rushed back to hospital, because my vomiting was constant. Even the maxolon needles didn't help. So my doc put me on these brilliant anti-nausea drugs, and hey presto! Still felt terrible, but no vomiting, so therefore no long stays in hospital after chemo! As to the chemo brain, it's funny isn't it? I've been told it's like that when your pregnant also!! I used to get really bad straight after chemo and stutter, it's so frustrating!? Although if I forgot to do things I didn't want to do, I had a brilliant excuse... Chemo brain! 😉 Use it to your advantage... I really hope everything is going well for you.... Take it easy.. Chels
0 Kudos
bleh
Contributor

Thanks everyone for all your support....it's great to have a place to vent where people actually understand you - the emotions you go through, and the side effects as well. My doc tried me on maxolon, then stematil, but then onto the hard stuff: Ondansatron (?spelling). The ondansatron works when they give it to me intraveneously at chemo, but the wafter things they send home with me don't do anything. I spent my whole night throwing up. But hey- I'll have BRILLIANT tummy muscles by the end of this! It had been suggested to put a PICC? line or Centraline or something in - but when that was suggested the only image i had in my head was of my 1 year old yanking it out- VERY MESSY! Another question I have is about bruising. I have bad veins, so usually it takes them about 3 times before finding one that will work. This morning I woke up with massive bruising and swelling on my hands and wrists, I've also got bruises all over my legs that look really nasty, but don't actually hurt. OH! And now I have a MASSIVE bald spot right at the front of my head where I usually have a beautiful side fringe. Yeah, I really appreciated that Cancer - good on you! All my girlie bits are going to shit - their warranty is voided and I demand a replacement!! See... at least I still have humour! Joanna xoxo
0 Kudos
benlisecca
Contributor

Hey Joanna, You are having such a rough time, I hope things settle down bit soon for you. I just wanted to let you know that I had a picc line fitted for treatment and it really saved my veins and made the chemo much much easier. It wasn't the drag I thought it would be... not a great thing to have but better than the alternative and it wasn't painful or uncomfortable - really forgot it was there. My 1 year old showed very little interest in it and I don't think ever tried to pull it out. I did drop my infuser pump a few times when it was connected to the picc and although it did pull me up with a sudden jolt it didn't ever come close to pulling the line out. Hang in there, you can do it. Take care of you. Sharon xxxxx
0 Kudos
samex
Regular Contributor

hi, I agree with Sharon about the picc line. Mine was a nuisance but apparently my chemo was so toxic there was no other choice, other than a central port.The main difference is that a picc line is put in with a local but a port needs a general anaesthetic. My main bugbear was that I couldn't go swimming but it was very easy to receive the chemo. I had mine in for 6 months with the only real problem being the irritation on my skin but I think that would be better than the bruising etc. Anyway, hope that you are feeling better. SAmex PS I had some heavy duty anti-nausea drugs for the first 3-4 days and then went on to the maxalon. Sorry I can't remember the name(chemo brain lingers unfortunately!) but I will search out my drug box and see if I have any left so that I can let you know the name. Make sure that you let doctor and your nurses know.
0 Kudos
WishingStar
Contributor

Wow just catching up on your thread... hang in there. Sending you strength... Still see you have a wicked sense of humour :D Hugs, Nicole
0 Kudos
CATS
Contributor

Joeyanna I really feel for you I'm having all the nasties associated with chemo too and I have vented on more than one occasion on this site. I love your humour - the pink goodies bag made me laugh. On many occasions I have bitched about the fact that breast cancer patients seem to be treated differently from the rest of us - bowel and liver cancer - what could they give me? a little brown goody bag!! Not terribly attractive prospect. When all is said and done - we all have a horrid cruel disease, no matter what part of our bodies it attacks and you are so right - chemo does suck!!!!. You said about your stomach muscles due to throwing up - I don't have that problem, I just have the worst upset stomachs imaginable - I will definitely have strong bowel muscles - now that's a pleasant thought! Hope you start feeling better meeow!!
0 Kudos
Jules2
Super Contributor

Hey Joanna I agree with everything that has been said re thhe picc line ... in that .... i have narrow veins which became more difficult the more treatment i had. Plus i was limited to having chemo and blood tests in one arm because of a previous cancer ( have had all my lymph glands removed under my right armpit and cant have blood tests or anything done on that arm now). :) I think i have had the same anti nausea which didnt work for me either. I took some and they sent me home from emergency and then i was back in that night. I am wondering if i can find out what they did for me for my next chemo because i was great with that one and they did change my medication and i didnt even take it for the full 4 days after. Will check out my bags of goodies and see if i can see it and let you know. Hope you are still able to have a laugh occasionally. Julie xo
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.