newly diagnosed melanoma

luckiestgirl
Occasional Contributor

newly diagnosed melanoma

Hi community. I have a newly diagnosed melanoma stage 0 in situ on my upper right arm. It is an oval shape approximately 6cm by 4cm. I will be having a wide excision with a 10mm margin with split skin graft day surgery general anaesthetic on 17th September. I have developed a cold. Will this delay my operation? Any suggestions to shake the cold?
0 Kudos
5 REPLIES 5
Juno888
Occasional Contributor

Re: newly diagnosed melanoma

Hi LG If it is a cold it should be gone by the 17th of Sept. One would think anyhow. So try not to worry about it and just keep healthy and positive. Keep warm and get plenty of sleep to help yourself heal. I'm an advocate for vitamin c. I recommend it. Before my surgery my daughter had a cold it was quite a nasty one. I was worried I would get it so I took heaps of vitamin c, made sure I washed my hands well and did not touch any of her tissues etc. I didn't get it until the week after my op. When my son was young and his asthma was unpredictable I was advised by a naturopath to give him Euchinacea, garlic and horseradish tablets. Which are really good for respiratory congestion. Garlic is good it is a natural antibiotic. I hope you get yourself well soon. I doubt your cold will linger till the 17th unless it is a flu. Once it is gone do lots of deep breathing to help clear your airways and stay away from anyone who has any respiratory infections. You don't want to catch another one. All the best with your surgery. Love and light June
0 Kudos
Khan_the_cat
Occasional Contributor

Hi LG, I am with June. Vitamin C and lots of it. What your body does not need, it will automatically eliminate. Your cold should be gone by now, but I take Echinacea, Garlic, Zinc and C, B complex and a women's multi vitamin every day. I have just finished 6 months of weekly chemo. I catch the train and am in contact with small children. I am yet to get a cold. I noticed that lots of Vitamin C seemed to help last time when I did Chemo and Radiation. I also had Zinc and magnesium supplements. Always check with your doctor before Taking Vitamins, just in case. For example, I know that with some types of chemo, you can't have grapefruit as it interacts badly. Good luck with the surgery. I hope it all goes well and you come out the other end with just a scar. May Angels be with you. Khan the cat.
0 Kudos
Gazza53
New Contributor

Hello, I'm Gary a 61 y.o. been fighting these buggers since 1961. Bottom line is they will travel with you from now on I am afraid. I RECOMMEND after the op. have a FLU SHOT from now on to give you a better chance. Your cold should be gone but if not the an? ( the bloke who knocks you out, I cant spell the blessed thing) wont touch you as your lungs would react. BUT all will go well as what you described will clear that one at least. But as I said, REGULAR checks, Flu Shot by yearly and LOVING Support Base will be your best bet. AND this site is AMAZING for reassurance and LOVING HONEST advice from a person either going through or knows what to expect in NO BULL TERMS. If you want email me and I can go further in my history but I wont here as you haven't had your op yet. GOOD LUCK on the day my young friend. GOD BLESS Regards Gary XO
0 Kudos
luckiestgirl
Occasional Contributor

Thank you for advice given to me. I had my op and it was successful in having no active cells remaining. I had a wound the size of a large egg with a dkin graft. My leg has a lovely racing stripe where the donor site is and my arm now looks like pacman lives inside. After the initial pain I am recovering well and have plenty of sunscreen both spray on and cream on hand and a large sunhat ready for summer.I am nervous about what the future holds but am trying to stay positive that I will be in the 95% cured with no recurrence although my history of sunburn and overexposure are not in my favour.I will definitely take note of all advice I have been given as well regarding staying healthy.
0 Kudos
luckiestgirl
Occasional Contributor

*skin graft
0 Kudos
Talk to a health professional
Cancer Council support and information 13 11 20Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm
Cancer Information and Support

Online resources and support

Access information about support services, online resources and a range of other materials.

Caring for someone with cancer?

Find out what resources and support services are available to assist you.